top of page

September 14 1922/2022

Jessup Twp. – A tragic death, which was surrounded by unusually sad circumstances, occurred Sunday afternoon, Sept. 10, 1922, when Mrs. Everett E. Devine (nee Clara Jenner), of Rush, lost her life in a runaway accident. Her neck was broken and instant death resulted, when she leaped from a carriage, the spirited horse she was driving having become unmanageable. The accident occurred on the hill near the Edgar Bolles farm, a short distance below Fairdale. Mrs. Devine had gone to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Glen Cronk, at Fairdale, where she spent the night. At 5 o’clock she started alone for her home. The only witnesses of the accident were Merrit Light and Miss Mildred Bunnell, Rush young people who were in a car coming up the hill below the Bolles farm. They saw the horse galloping madly down the hill with a lady frantically endeavoring to hold the animal. Mr. Light swung the car out of the road to prevent a crash and as Mrs. Devine passed them she called to the occupants, probably an appeal for assistance. She was seen to jump from the carriage forcibly striking on her head. The young people immediately ran to where she lay motionless and were shocked to discover her lifeless. The galloping horse and empty vehicle were seen passing the home of Mrs. Jenner’s nephew, Harrison Jenner, a short distance beyond. The lifeless body was carried to the Bolles home where a physician was summoned, to no avail. She was 51 years of age, devoted to her husband and children, an active member of the Rush ME Church and mother of two sons, Clifford and Haskell, and daughter, Mrs. Cronk. The funeral was held from her late home and interment was made in the State Road cemetery.

Forest Lake – Erma Turrell, of Montrose, is teaching at the Hamlin school in this place.

Little Meadows – F. M. Lynch, of the firm of Lynch Brothers, merchants and farm machinery dealers, of this place, was engaged here Thursday. The firm of Lynch Brothers is widely known in the western part of the county, its business extending over many townships. They handle the International Harvester Co.’s line of goods and give a satisfactory service to their customers.

Brooklyn – The vocational instructors of our high school have arrived and taken up their duties. Mr. Beach, who lives in Mansfield, is a graduate in the Agricultural College, Cornell University; Miss Nelson, whose home is in Binghamton, graduated in Home Economics at the William Smith college, Geneva, NY.

Fair Hill – Some from the Hill attended Pomona Grange at Birchardville last week and report a fine time, and that it was the largest grange meeting they have had for years as nearly two hundred were fed by the Birchardville Grange.

Hop Bottom – A battalion of U. S. Artillery passed through here Monday, over the Lackawanna Trail, and attracted much attention. Uncle Sam’s horses and mules appeared to be in fine condition and were a most pleasing sight in contrast to the usual rush of automobiles. ALSO Had some shower Monday night. One and fifty-hundredths of an inch of water fell.

Dimock – Paul Blancher has purchased a new Ford car, which leaves the dust far behind. ALSO School has opened here again with 127 pupils in attendance and a splendid corps of teachers. There are 36 students in the high school room, a larger number than was ever known here before. The sessions begin at 9 o’clock a.m. instead of at 8:30 as formerly. ALSO A Willys Light electric plant is being installed in the F. W. Jaussen house in which the manager of his creamery lives. W. J. Cronk has one of the same which he purchased last year that has given entire satisfaction. This plant was used on the Dimock camp grounds during the camp meeting.

Ararat – Andrew Hackley and Ronald Walker are taking a week’s lay off for the purpose of cutting wood on Andy’s father’s place in anticipation of a coal shortage this winter.

Susquehanna – Thos. A. Doherty, Esq. has been appointed attorney for the Erie Railroad Company at this place, succeeding Wm. A. Skinner, who has moved to Scranton.

New Milford – Two automobiles were badly damaged in a collision on the narrow bridge at Summersville on Sunday. The occupants escaped uninjured. One of the cars, driven by F. B. Figgins, of the C. & P. Telephone Co., Washington, D. C. and accompanied by his wife, was nearly across the bridge when a large car driven by Joseph Delio, of Pittston, with several occupants, ran into him head on. Delio was arrested and at the time of the hearing had no driver’s license with him. The Summersville bridge is not what it should be, although this in no way excuses Mr. Delio for his careless driving.

Jackson – Work was started this week on the new road, which is to take the place of a portion of Snake Hill. ALSO Patrons of the Jackson library who take books from the shelves are kindly asked to take pains in putting the books back in their places. Thank you.

Uniondale – Leaving his engine on which was employed as a fireman at Uniondale station of the Erie road, Saturday evening at 8 o’clock, Maurice Walsh, of Carbondale, wandered away and was not located until Sunday noon The locomotive in charge of Howard Oliver had just returned from Ararat after pushing a train over the hill and had stopped to take water at the Uniondale tank, where it was discovered that Walsh, who had been on the engine just a few minutes before, was missing. A call for assistance was sent into the state police at Susquehanna, the Forest City and Carbondale police and to the D. & H. police. A vigorous and thorough search was started, which continued through the night in an effort to find him. An automobile party overtook the missing man on the road between Crystal Lake and Welsh Hill. The fireman was found in a weakened condition, resulting from a recent illness, and the heavy work of firing the engine caused a temporary case of Aspasia. A large part of Carbondalians were at the Uniondale station ready to scatter in a systematic search for Walsh when word was received that he had reached home.

Montrose – Mises Mildred Lyons, Lillian Martin, Dorothy Titsworth, Louise Hay and Margaret Meehan leave on Sunday for Syracuse University to continue their studies. Miss Frances Fancher goes to Ithaca to enter the Conservatory of Physical Training. Harry Fancher returns to Cornell for his third year.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page