October 27 1916/2016
Choconut – Susquehanna county, which has been free from infantile paralysis cases throughout the epidemic, cannot now boast of freedom from the dread disease. Two little victims, residing in two different families, have succumbed as victims to the malady. The first child to be taken with the disease was Catherine Donnelly, the 8 year old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Donnelly, who reside near Stanley Pond. On Oct. 23, William Lynch, the 4 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. William Lynch, was found to be suffering from the disease and died in the evening. Both of the sad fatalities, within a few days, have caused a deep gloom in the community.
Forest Lake – T. Booth & Son are making cider at 1 ½ cents per gallon for the trade.
Montrose – Saturday, Oct. 28, the M.H.S. foot ball team is to meet their ancient enemy, Tunkhannock High School, on our home grounds. “Tunk” suffered defeat twice last year at our hands—and are coming up Saturday resolved to do or die. Come and see a good game and help our team. ALSO Chicken thieves are beginning their operations here this fall. During the early hours of Monday morning two of them succeeded in taking two chickens from Joseph Mawhiney’s flock, in his coop, located near the cemetery. Mrs. Charles Wood, who lives next door, was awakened by a lively commotion, made by her fine flock of ducks and hurriedly gave the alarm to her son, Paul Wood, that there was something wrong with the chickens and ducks. Paul did not wait to don special clothing for the occasion, and arming himself with what is necessary to greet burglars, and with a bulldog and Scotch terrier, the trio started in pursuit after the night prowlers. Paul, who is a barber, is just as handy with a shot gun as with a razor, and had he got a good chance somebody would have been properly peppered, to such an extent that all further raids on chicken coops would have had to be cancelled for the rest of the season. The thieves, upon hearing the barking dogs, were not slow in making their escape. The dogs in that neighborhood now sleep with one eye open and there is an extra supply of ammunition on cemetery hill awaiting a further visit from the marauders.
Bradford County – A geologist for one of the big oil companies spent considerable time this summer exploring Bradford county for oil and gas signs, and in consequence of his observations the oil company will sink at least two test wells in the central part of the county if land can be leased reasonably. The geologists are not optimistic concerning the outlook for oil but are sure that gas in paying quantities is to be found if proper tests are made.
Forest City – Yesterday afternoon Joseph Muchitz, son of Martin Muchitz, had three fingers badly mangled by the accidental discharge of a gun while hunting. He was with Anthony Gantor, in Robert Tinker’s woods, about 3 miles from town, when the accident happened. With handkerchiefs, Mr. Gantor bandaged his hand and with a lace from his legging, made a tourniquet, checking the flow of blood. The young man then walked to town. Joseph was taken to Thompson’s Hospital, in Scranton.
Susquehanna – Susquehanna has organized a glee club with 10 members. Perhaps a joint meet of Susquehanna’s organization and the Montrose Symphony Chorus can be arranged.
New Milford – The Baptists of this place have purchased the C.M. Shelp property, adjoining the church, for a parsonage. Rev. E.B. Hughes, of Montrose, the new pastor, took possession yesterday.
Great Bend – At about 1:15 o’clock Sunday afternoon, a Ford runabout on its way from Binghamton to Scranton, driven by Harry Humphrey and Thomas O’Hara, crashed through the guard rail of the bridge crossing of Erie railroad to the ground below, a distance of 20 feet. The car turned turtle in mid air. Mr. O’Hara was quite seriously injured and Mr. Humphrey slightly so. Both are now in the City Hospital in Binghamton. High speed, accompanied with a blowout while entering bridge, is stated as the cause of the accident. ALSO Six cows wandered from a pasture lot on the Cobb farm one morning last week and strayed on the Erie tracks at Newman’s crossing. A west bound train ran through the herd, throwing them from the tracks. One of the animals, owned by J.O. Vroman, was so badly injured that it had to be killed. Another, belonging to J.F. Carl, was badly injured, but will recover.
Middletown Twp. – Middletown, for its population, supplies more school teachers than any other township in the county. It is told us that 14 schoolm’ams hail from that district. Good school teachers are hard to find, and Middletown is to be congratulated for giving some of its best and most conscientious young women to the great work.
Lynn, Springville Twp. – Some miscreant of parts unknown traded buggys with W.B. Fish about two weeks ago, on late Saturday night or early Sunday morning, without Mr. Fish’s consent or knowledge, leaving an inferior one with a broken tire in its place. All traces of the same remain a mystery up to this date.
Hallstead – Floyd Merrell has received an appointment to the United States Naval Academy, at Annapolis. He expects to go for a term of eight years. ALSO Trains on the Lackawanna between this place and New Milford, have been running on the old tracks. The bank along the cut at Summersville slid down until it was necessary to take out two or three cuts with the steam shovel and the change in running trains was made while this was done.
Dimock – In an opinion handed down by Judge Denney, the school directors of Dimock are upheld in closing No. 7 school and accepting a gift of $10,000 from F.R. Cope and Percy Ballantine for a central high school.
Franklin Forks – About 80 attended the golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Stockholm, Saturday. A fine time was enjoyed by all.
Marriage Licenses granted: Daniel King, Thompson, and Katherine Gilleran, Starrucca; William A. Jeffers and Candace H. Gorman, Lenox; Ray C. Tingley, Harford, and Edith C. Corse, Jackson; Otto Halford and Blanche Westgate, of Crystal Lake; George P. Yard, Newark, NJ and Bernice M. Powers, Hopbottom; John H. Gerlach, Jackson, Mich. and Edith A. Bryant, Susquehanna.
200 Years Ago, from the Centinel, Montrose, Pa, October 29, 1816.
*RAPID GROWTH. In the year 1812 the town of Montrose contained but two families. It now (1816) contains a Court house, Prison, Printing Office, Leather factory, two Shoe factorys, Hat factory, Cabinet factory, Chair factory, Druggist’s shop, three Physicians, seven Carpenters, three public Inns, five Stores, Twenty-eight dwelling houses, several more now building, and one hundred and eighty-six Inhabitants. AN INHABITANT. *NEW STORE, AND NEW GOODS. The subscribers have commenced business at their New Store on the Public Avenue, a few rods from the Courthouse in the village of Montrose. They have just received from New York and are now selling a general and well chosen assortment of DRY GOODS, GROCERIES, CROCKERY, GLASS & HARD-WARE, IRON AND STEEL, very cheap for cash, good credit and Country Produce. Please call and see for yourselves. They will be thankful for all favors they may receive. SAYRE & MULFORD. Montrose, Oct. 29, 1816.
Compiled By: Betty Smith