top of page

October 22 1909/2009

Franklin Twp. - E. F. Palmer raised a potato on his farm that weighed 4 lbs. and 3 ounces. It is of the Prolific variety, smooth skinned and said to be excellent for table use. Eight potatoes dug by Mr. Palmer weighed 21 pounds. The potato exhibited was a monster in size.

Auburn Twp. - Invitations have been issued for the approaching wedding of Mr. Glenn Voss, formerly of Auburn, clerk in the Farmer's National Bank in Montrose, to Miss Pearl Pepper, of Auburn. The marriage is to take place tomorrow. Both are known in Montrose, Miss Pepper being a high school graduate. They will reside in the Harrower house on Scenery Hill, lately purchased by Mr. Voss. AND In Pleasant Valley the children are roaming o'er the hills and through the fields in search of chestnuts.

Heart Lake - Proprietor Frank T. Mack has closed the summer resort for the season and returned to Montrose. The season out in that neck o' woods was very successful and Mr. Mack feels most grateful indeed to patrons and friends who helped in making it such a success in every way.

Montrose - The library books most called for are: "The Girl of the Limberlost," "Anne of Avonlea," "Poppea of the Postoffice," "Old Rose and Silver," and "The Handsome Gentleman." AND - Eddie Gooden, a colored boy, who has been in the Montrose jail for some time, charged with pilfering from the Montrose Postoffice some weeks ago, was taken to Scranton last Friday night by a U.S. Deputy Marshall, where he will be tried in the United State court this week. Postmaster Burns and Ray Merrill went down as witnesses from the Postoffice and Cashier Pross and Miss Wrighter from the Farmers' Bank. Gooden pleaded guilty to the charge and was sentenced to two years imprisonment in the federal prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.

Friendsville - In a Scranton paper of last week, Mary Rose, a former Susquehanna county poetess, speaks of her memories of "The Old Friendsville Church," in eight pretty stanzas. The writer in the poem, tenderly referred to the late Poet [Gerald] Griffin's parents, who sleep beneath a hawthorn tree, with moss-covered markers, in the old cemetery in Friendsville.

Hallstead - Uncle Tom's Cabin troupe went from Rush to Hallstead Sunday morning, their next stopping place. The company is quite a large one to travel about the country in wagons and created quite a commotion among the residents as the long train of vehicles and droves of ponies and donkeys passed quietly along the main streets. AND Patrick Butler, who went to Ireland in the early spring to visit his native land, came very near being deported as an alien when he arrived at Ellis Island on his return. Mr. Butler could not prove his citizenship, not having his naturalization papers with him and as he failed to have the necessary amount of money on his person, required for Immigrants to land, the commissioner had directed that he be returned on the next vessel. He protested that he had lived in this country nearly all his life, but too no avail. He corresponded with M. J. Murray, of Hallstead, and before the next vessel left Mr. Murray had received and forwarded copies of the naturalization papers to Mr. Butler and this evidence made it possible for Mr. Butler to land.

Springville - Several years ago Springville people were informed that the county had decided to build a bridge over Meshoppen creek near James T. Baker's. As no bridge is yet visible, it is to be inferred that the commissioners are going to build further up stream and float it down when high water comes. AND Dr. Diller and family are nearly settled in their new home and have a finely equipped little drug store and seems to be having a considerable business for a new store.

Ararat - Orlo Wood of this place, who works as signalman in a tower near Carbondale, was injured quite badly near Burnwood. He flagged a pusher so as to ride to his work, and by the sudden starting of the engine just as he was getting on, he was thrown against it, injuring his side. He was taken to the home of relatives near by and his wife and children were summoned to his bed side. We are glad to learn he is better at this writing.

Alford - Fred Moore filled his two large silos last week, doing the work in two days, Hebert Tingley using his steam power, which kept eight teams and 25 men busy.

Lawton - The little two-year old soon of M. H. Juser, was kicked in his face by a colt. The boy's nose was broken and his face badly bruised. Dr. Fry was called to attend the boy.

Harford - Elmer Whitney recently purchased 38 pounds of ginsing of Hila Estabrook, of Gibson.

Hopbottom - Foster [Hopbottom] has some new street lamps that make a very nice light. J. E. Gardner, of South Gibson, is agent for this new light.

North Jackson - Aden Bennett Larrabee was born in Dummerston, Vermont, August 9, 1817 and died here Sept. 24, 1909. He moved to Jackson in 1831 with his parents, upon the farm now forming part of the farms of Frank Whitney and O. E. Barrett. He cast his first presidential vote for Wm. H. Harrison and has voted at every presidential since, a period of 68 years. In 1841 he married Harriet E. Dougherty of Gibson. Mr. Larrabee was a sawyer in the mill of James Comfort, in Harmony Twp., and at this mill a great deal of the timber used in the construction of the false work of the Starrucca Viaduct was manufactured. At this same mill, in later years, Mr. Larrabee sawed the famous pine tree that furnished so much lumber for the inside work of the North Jackson church. He was an ardent Republican and a great lover of music--for many years he taught singing schools both in Susquehanna and Wayne counties. During the last year of his life, he told the writer of this sketch of one winter in the "Forties" when he drove a horse and cutter 150 consecutive days engaged in this work. During the war of the Rebellion, he received a commission as Captain of the Jackson Light Artillery and at the time of the Battle of Gettysburg, he was called and served 60 days on the staff of General Couch. He was borne to his long rest by members of Co. B, 17th Pa. Cavalry and at the time of his death was perhaps the oldest member of the I.O.O.F. in Pennsylvania. Mr. Larrabee was tenderly cared for by his only son, George V. Larrabee, Manager of the Susquehanna Transcript and Ledger and his wife, Viola.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page