top of page

October 06 1905/2005

Montrose - Edward Taylor, of Forest Lake, narrowly escaped death in a runaway accident Tuesday afternoon. Mr. Taylor had just untied his horses from the railing on Public Ave. and in turning around the wagon was partially overturned. This trifling accident frightened the animals and as they plunged forward the driver was thrown in front of the wagon box, his body striking on the pole and whiffletrees. His position was an extremely perilous one. Unable to extricate himself and with the wagon being dragged along on its side at breakneck speed, the sight that presented itself to the many spectators was horrifying. To add to his danger one of the horses kicked furiously and the flying hoofs seemed as though at any moment they would implant a blow on the helpless man's skull. His lower limbs, however, received the brunt of the blows from the horse's heels. The animals ran into the railing near the drinking fountain and the man, horses and wagon were piled in a confused heap. The railing was torn out and adding to the noise of the impact was the sound of splintering wood and the thud of horses and wagon in a sickening crash. Those who ran to the spot found Mr. Taylor pale and shaking, but gritty as ever. His clothes were torn and face and body considerably bruised, but fortunately no bones broken. He was obliged to purchase a necessary article of clothing--a pair of trousers of you must know--in order to appear not like a hobo. He was evidently glad to get out of it at that price.

Dimock - The large horse barn on Dimock camp grounds was burned to the ground last week. Origin of the fire is unknown.

Ararat - Hattie, the four-year-old daughter of Mr. & Mrs. John Keenan, was fatally burned while playing with a Jack-o-lantern. She, in company with several older girls, had been spending the early evening playing and amusing themselves. In some manner, while playing alone with the lantern, the others having tired of that form of amusement, the little girl ignited her clothing from the tiny candle. Dr. McNamara was hurriedly summoned from Thompson, and although he was able to alleviate her suffering to some extent, she died about one o'clock the following morning.

Hopbottom - Bessie Tiffany has returned to Baltimore to resume her studies at the Woman's Medical college.

Auburn Twp. - We are having tremendous weather these days. Mercury up to 120 in the sun every day, so now if you pass this way and find us comfortably seated in the shade, don't say or think for one minute that we don't like to work. AND Prof. Frank Jones, the noted cattle inspector, passed through here on Saturday. Frank was well prepared for a long journey, as he had one horse attached to the buggy and another with harness on leading behind, I suppose, in all readiness to take the place of the other when overtaken by weariness.

Fair Hill - About 40 relatives and friends assembled Saturday evening at the pleasant home of Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Andre. The visit was a surprise and a very enjoyable evening was the result. It being Mrs. Andre's birthday anniversary quite a number of articles, both useful and ornamental, were left in token of the high esteem in which Mrs. Andre is held.

Upsonville - The 92nd Anniversary of the Presbyterian church was celebrated Sunday, Oct. 1, with a Harvest Service. The church was tastefully decorated with autumn leaves, fruit, etc. Rev. Church preached an excellent sermon from 1 Samuel 7:12. The music was in harmony with the service. The offering was $22.00

Springville - Springville souvenir post cards on sale in town. Springville is right in the fashion.

Thompson - Rumor has it that our townsman, G. F. Spencer, has purchased the grist mill and the milling business at Uniondale. AND  Will Kane, who has run the Baldwin-O'Brine-Durland milk station here for the past 5 years or more is moving to Brooklyn, NY, and will continue in the employ of the same company. "Billy" was a good, safe man to have around. We shall know later what is to be done with the station he leves.

Glenwood - J. C. Lott lost a valuable cow last week by being shot. Some one in shooting squirrels or other small game mistook her for some kind of game and put a ball through her head. As it was a small ball it probably was done by boys. Mr. Lott is in search of the miscreants and if caught they will be punished according to their deserts. AND If the party who carried off the wire stretcher of J. H. Hartley will return it no questions will be asked. If not, look out as the party is known.

Harford - Those who are interested in keeping tab on weather conditions will find the following, taken from the memoranda of the late Capt. Asahel Sweet, of Harford. "On the 6th day of June, A.D. 1816, there was a number of snow squalls. On the 7th day, in the morning, it was frozen so hard that plowed ground would almost bear a man to walk on, and also, on the morning of the 9th, the ground was white with frost, and also on the morning of the 10th." This is a record, we dare say, that even the "oldest resident" cannot remember having been surpassed.

Great Bend - The little daughter of Mr. Alexander was run over by a milk wagon early Saturday morning seriously injuring her head and leg.

Forest City - The school statistics for the first month of the term show that there are 909 pupils attending the local public schools. Of this number 459 are girls and 450 are boys. The senior class contains 7 members and there are four post graduates.

Susquehanna - Frank E. Robbins, who was killed in the railroad disaster Sunday night near the Erie coal pockets, was born in Montrose in 1847. He left home when but 16 years of age to enter the army. A good horseman, he saw a great deal of exciting service as messenger and signalman, being regularly attached to the signal corps. Accompanying Gen. W. T. Sherman's army on its march to the sea, he elicited warm praise for his fearless obedience of orders in the discharge of his duty. His services on the Erie R.R. began in 1866 and he remained in their employ continuously for 39 years, an engineer for 35 years. During that time he never had an accident in front of a train. The end came quickly, through no fault of his own; he clung to the shattered 745, an engineer to the last.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page