top of page

May 14 1915/2015

Forest City – The community was shocked and depressed by the tragic death of G. Monteith Brown, one of the borough’s well known young residents, while at his work in No. 2 shaft. He was employed as a brakeman on one of the haulage motors and was run down by the heavy machine. His body was badly mangled and death was probably instantaneous. The deceased had gone ahead of the motor to throw a switch and it is supposed that he either tarried too long in adjusting one of the latches or slipped in attempting to board the approaching motor.  Deceased was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John M. Brown. He would have been 19 years old in August. He was possessed of a cheery, companionable and self-reliant nature, and a lover of outdoors recreation, which made him a leader among a large circle of young people in whom his death will come as a personal loss. The funeral will be held from the home of his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Brown.

Uniondale – John Irvine is 82 and past. He is suffering from rheumatism, otherwise he feels good. It is said he can tell without hesitation the birthday of every child born in the neighborhood the past thirty years, having a wonderful memory for dates. He is living with Mat Maccannister. ALSO Three boys from Carbondale were taken from No. 69, one of the fastest freights on the line, Monday night, and taken in custody by operator Earl Payne. The father of one of the boys came up the following morning and made the trio walk to Forest City to do time for their fast ride.

Springville – Miss Meta Greenwood has her ice cream parlors open for the season in Lynn. ALSO The commencement exercises of our high school were largely attended at the M. E. church. The members of the class were Edith Smith, Frances Davis, Douglas Lathrop, Karl Gesford and Charles Edwards.  Following the exercises the graduates and their friends were given a banquet at the home of Mrs. Lionel Messerole.

Thompson – Gardner G. Lewis, a prosperous and prominent farmer, left home about two o’clock, Friday, May 7, 1915, leading a cow, which he had sold to a farmer at South Gibson, and about six o’clock his lifeless body was found on the side of the road near the home of George Woodard, about two miles north of South Gibson. As he had always enjoyed the best of health, it is believed that heart failure was the cause of his sudden death. The funeral was held Monday morning from his late home.  Burial at Whitney cemetery, East Jackson.

Franklin Twp. – O. Kinner is very poorly.  He was hurt last winter by a cow falling on him while he was trying to get her across the ice.

Susquehanna – Jack Palmer made a trip to Binghamton with his new “Jitney” bus, with 15 base ball fans to witness the game there.

Great Bend – The high school graduating exercises will be held in the M. E. church on Friday evening, May 14. The graduates are Cecile Tuttle, Julia Carpenter, Helen Hunter, Hazel Chilson, and Blanche Sparkes.

Hallstead – In equity court, yesterday, a compromise was affected in the suit of C. J. McKinney against the Lackawanna railroad for damages to his farm, in Hallstead, due to the new cut-off. The Public Service Commission had awarded Mr. McKinney $4,500 damages and required the maintenance of an overhead crossing. Under the terms agreed upon the railroad company, having refused to accept the commission’s award, McKinney was awarded $3,500 damages, he to give a deed for the right of way to the company, while the railroad will not be required to maintain an overhead crossing.

Harford – The school election passed off very quietly, with a majority of 45 for the new school building. A public demonstration followed and the directors, teachers, high school students, with the citizens and their wives, marched to the time of horns, cow bells, tin pans, etc., and sang patriotic songs.  The church bells rang and the night air was full of “melodious” sound. Surely it was a great time for Harford.

Montrose – Decorators from Scranton are frescoing the interior of St. Paul’s Episcopal church in places where the ingredients do [did] not adhere in first class manner, the work being done about two years ago.  It is said that the M. E. church interior will be frescoed later on.

Brooklyn – Three steam shovels are now at work north of town on the Scranton & Binghamton trolley line and there is great activity all along the line. Many additional men have been employed and our people are getting impatient to see the cars running along the hillside. ALSO Miss Alice Lee, the gifted authoress, is spending some time in New York city gathering material for her work. She, with her pen, entertains many readers of the Youth’s Companion and other publications.

Hopbottom – Closing exercises of the high school were held in the Universalist church on May 5. The five graduates were: Marian Smith, Marguerite Lynch, Floyd Titus, Clarence Phillips and Thomas Lynch. The program of essays, etc. was rendered with much credit to each member of the class and the excellent music with which the program was supplemented made a very pleasing entertainment. Vocal numbers were rendered by Mrs. Van de Sand, Mrs. Barron and Miss Byram. Instrumental selections by Adams’ orchestra of Factoryville.

West Auburn – The West Auburn and Silvara Woman’s Christian Temperance Union met at Miss Ella Younker’s and elected the following officers for the ensuing year: President, Mrs. Emma Sturdevant; 1st. vice president, Mrs. Flora VanHorn; 2nd vice president, Mrs. Susie Pickett, secretary, Mrs. Sadie Crawford; treasurer, Mrs. Ida Possinger; organist, Mrs. Margaret Parker. The next meeting will be held with Mrs. Eliza Madison at Silvara.

East Rush – Thirty-five cents was the price paid for April butter at the East Rush creamery.

Lusitania Torpedoed:  In fulfillment of her warning, published in American papers, Germany has sent to the bottom of the ocean the giant Cunarder, Lusitania, with 1,156 souls. The total list of survivors is 764, including 462 passengers and 302 members of the crew. The suddenness of the attack caused terrific loss of life, as the deadly missiles came without warning while the passengers were dining, and the Lusitania disappeared beneath the waves within fifteen minutes. There was no panic on the vessel, the crew going coolly about the work of preparing to save passengers. Captain Turner promptly turned the Lusitania toward shore. The heavy list, due to inrushing water, prevented the launching of many lifeboats.  Some boats were swamped after launching, the vessel being unable to slow up. Survivors of the Lusitania arriving in London told some of their tragic experiences. They expressed the opinion that the ship was badly handled in being run into waters where it was known submarines were waiting. Although not for a moment attempting to shift the blame from the Germans for the sinking of a ship full of innocent passengers, they insisted that the officers of the steamship, knowing that submarines were lurking off the Irish coast, ought to have taken a different path to avoid all danger.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page