top of page

March 31 1905/2005

Springville - Did you ever stop to appreciate the fact that Springville is one of the nicest little towns in northeastern Pennsylvania? Nowhere can be found more attractive or busier stores--their proprietors are courteous and pleasing. And where can a cleaner, better hotel be found than the Springville Hotel, under the proprietorship of Jos. H. Kelly? We have a stone quarry industry doing its thousands of dollars of business yearly, conducted by Lott Bros. The milling interest is ably taken care of by Mr. Thomas. P.W. Terry makes the best harness in existence and story would be incomplete if we did not allude to the tonsorial artist, C.H. Young, whose work and courteous ways elicit the highest praise.

Forest City - Dr. William J. Hansee, a nomadic physician, and for years a picturesque figure in northeastern Pennsylvania, died at the McLaughlin hotel Tuesday, March 21, aged about 70 years. Death was due to acute gastritis. The doctor had been in town about a week and up to Saturday was going about among his old friends in apparently the best of health. He was a large man, over 6', with flowing beard and fine physique, and had been away from this section for about 4 years. He was, as far as known, not a graduate of any medical school, having as he said on the witness stand at Montrose on the Waltz-Lemon case "learned his profession in the school of Hard Knocks, and received a diploma from the college of Experience." For 50 years he has doctored in northeastern Penna., for the most part, and 30 years ago he was located near Equinunk, Wayne Co., and had a thriving practice. The body was taken to Bell's morgue and from there it was laid to rest in Hillside cemetery. There were no services and no mourners to follow the remains to the grave. Deceased is said to have 4 daughters and one son, but their whereabouts is unknown.

Parkvale, Dimock Twp. - Homer Smith has accepted the agency for the Bates-Hawley patent signal mail box for the R.F.D. route that comes from Montrose south to this place. He will call on the patrons soon, and it would be advisable for everyone to see his samples before purchasing, as this is certainly the best box in every way that there is on the market.

Great Bend - The high water between Hallstead and this place is causing much inconvenience.

Ararat - Following is a list of the people of Ararat who have passed the age of 70 years. When the size of the place is considered, the longevity of the residents of this mountain town is really remarkable: Wm. W. Cobb, 70; James P. Wademan, 72; Jones W. Walker, 72; Leonard O. Baldwin, 73; William Harris, 75; Mrs. Samantha Slocum, 76; Mrs. Minerva Carpenter, 77; Mrs. Olive Bushnell, 77; Mrs. Amanda Ferris, 78; Mrs. Desdemonia Borden, 76; Mrs. Georgiana Avery, 79; David Miller, 79; Rolla Carpenter, 80; Abner B. Avery, 80; Mrs. Emily Williams, 81; Mrs. Deborah Dexter, 83; Mrs. Caroline Yarns, 84; Mrs. Harriet N. Hathaway, 84; Mrs. Lettitia Shaver, 84; Ezra Ferris, 84; Mrs. Freelove Brooks, 85; Mrs. Jane Beaumont, 85; Mrs. Margaret Sartell, 86; Mrs. Hannah Burman, 89; Edward Atwater, 89; Mrs. Susan Baldwin, 94. Average over 80 yrs.

Montrose - Miss Eliza J. Brewster leaves for New York the first of the week, where she will act as private secretary to Mrs. Charles M. Schwab, wife of the steel magnate. Miss Brewster has known Mrs. Schwab for a number of years, having made her acquaintance while a teacher in the school at Weatherly, PA.

Auburn 4-Corners - On Sunday night, while Mr. and Mrs. Harry Grow were milking, their house caught fire from the chimney. When discovered, it was under considerable headway, and had it not been for the timely assistance of neighbors and a supply of water near by, it would have been completely destroyed.

Uniondale - The young men here have presented to the M.E. church a very beautiful Rochester hanging lamp. They believe in letting their light shine. Probably so the other members can see to walk in the light and not stumble.

Forest Lake - C.W. Brown is the new steward at the Auburn and Rush Poor Asylum.

Skinner Hill, Franklin Twp. - Rufy Summers lost one of his work horses and a cow recently. Bad luck for Rufy.

Rush - The roads are very muddy now and the stages are generally late.

Little Meadows -Mr. Hartigan is one of the county's largest and most successful growers of potatoes, having over 1,300 bushels of fine tubers in his cellar yet.

Choconut - The house of Frank Dugan, near the Crystal spring Creamery, was burned to the ground Sunday last. Mr. Dugan was lying on the couch reading, when he heard something drop. On investigation he found the house to be on fire, sparks having dropped from the chimney to the roof and igniting it. All he saved was about one half his clothes and his face was badly burned in trying to extinguish the flames.

Harford Twp. - A very pleasant surprise occurred at the home of Austin Darrow, Feb. 28, it being his 80th birthday. Forty-three persons sat down to a sumptuous repast. Austin, son of Gurdon, was born Feb. 28th 1825. Gurdon was born in Groton, Conn. and came here in 1812, arriving on the 12th day of May at the old Avery tavern, now the property of T.J. Davies. The following winter he taught school at Kentuck [Gibson Twp.] and the next winter he taught at New Milford. If not the first, Gurdon was certainly among the earliest teachers in this vicinity. At that early day there were only a few houses where the borough of New Milford now stands, and those, as well as the school house, were of a comparatively primitive type. Gurdon took the place of his brother-in-law during the war of 1812 and afterwards married Sally Moxley. In 1816 he purchased a tract of land and commenced a home on the line of marked trees between South New Milford and Harford, at that time a wild, unbroken wilderness. Here were born their 6 children, including Austin. "Uncle Austin." as he is called, is well preserved for a man of his age and his memory of the many scenes and events of the olden times, when log houses and log barns and log fences and far reaching forests were in vogue. He has built many buildings, among the rest the Baptist church at S. New Milford.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page