top of page

June 20 1913/2013

Hallstead - The State Constabulary made a raid on the place of L. E. Tiffany on the night of June 14th and made a large haul of gamblers and gambling apparatus. For a long time past some of the best citzens of Hallstead have been making complaints to D.A. Ferguson to the effect that Mr. Tiffany was keeping a gambling house. The D.A. Secured a member of the state police to appear in plain clothes and get acquainted with the “boys” and he soon got in their good graces. The officer went to Susquehanna and reported of his progress and it was planned that all would be on the job on the evening of June 14. Warrants were sworn out and about 10 o’clock four members of the constabulary and the D.A. proceeded to Hallstead in Automobiles. Admission to the joint was easily obtained by the plain clothes member, who was followed by the other three. Mr. Tiffany and all in the game were placed under arrest with gambling evidence. Tiffany and Wm. Haganaw waived a hearing and entered bail for their appearance at court; the rest of the crowd was held as witness.

Auburn - The Auburn and Rush poor farm has a surplus of hay on hand and have sold it for $14 per ton, hauling it to Meshoppen, eleven miles at least. Some farmers think hay will bring a good price next winter and will pay to hold over. ALSO: The veterans of the Civil War, who were residents of the Auburn, are very few in number now. Perhaps one--half dozen from the township may go to Gettysburg, but it is doubtful.

South Gibson - Ralph Lewis, a South Gibson boy, while shooting crows on the Belcher farm, about a mile from the town, was very much surprised to see a black bear come nosing along. He was armed with only a small 22--calibre rifle, but that did not deter him from killing the animal, although it required three shots to do it. It has been many a year since bears were seen around here, but it is believed that bruin has for some time resided in the wilds of Elk Mountain, a few miles away. The youthful hunter was the cynosure of many admiring eyes, being a second only to that of the bear. It weighed 132 pounds.

Lenoxville - D.W. Kenyon and family are moving back to their farm in Greenfield. We are sorry to loose them from our little community and our best wishes go with them ever.

Flynn, Middletown Twp. - It has got so that our rural deliveryman, Milton Warner, has to carry a garden rake and stop for hours to rake stones off the road.

Howard Hill, Liberty Twp. - Marion Foster, teacher at the Brookdale Orphanage, closed her school last Friday and took the boys to Tripp Lake and spent the day fishing. Others who went were Mrs. Effie LaSure and daughter, Violet, Edna Reynolds, Thea Caswell, Bessie Howard and Elbert LaSure.

Stevens Point - Geo. A. Prentice and family mourn the loss of their 8 year--old (Jake) pet cat, who by some means just lost his timetable and was overtaken by a train and was killed. The remains were picked up and buried by C.J. Cook and others.

Heart Lake - J.B. Hadsell, editor of the Binghamton Press, has purchased a lot and will build a cottage shortly. The Post Brothers’ cottage is nearly completed. ALSO: Dance in the coolest dance hall in Northern Pennsylvania, at Heart Lake, July 4th. If you dance you can’t dance at a better place.

Parkvale, Dimock Twp. - W.C. Green is preparing to move his barn. James Bunnell is doing the work. [Mr. Bunnell was known as the master barn and house mover at this period of time.]

Binghamton - It takes the Binghamton girls to catch the boys over in Susquehanna County. The Last one to be caught was Thomas Hassen, of Auburn. Miss Loretta Kane was the lucky girl. Now Tom, when we come over to Montrose we want a good cigar. Best of wishes to you and your better half.

Montrose - One of the features of the balloon ascension at the Montrose Fourth of July celebration, after the aeronaut has cut loose in a parachute, is a trained dog cutting loose in a similar parachute shortly afterward. Many other novel attractions will be found in the big celebration here the Fourth. ALSO: The Star Bloomer Girls, alleged champion lady baseball players, will play a local team here on Saturday. The young women have played ball here before and always play an interesting game.

Brooklyn - Archie Kent and Miss Florence Packard were married last week at Unadilla, N.Y. Mr. and Mrs. Kent will be at home to their friends after July 1st. Mr. Kent was also examined by the State Board of Undertakers at Philadelphia and has been granted an undertaker’s license.

Susquehanna - J. Thompson Bean, who for a number of years has edited the Transcript--Ledger, has resigned his position. Geo. V. Larrabee, for many years the business manager, is the new editor.

St. Joseph - One of the prettiest and most impressive weddings ever solemnized in St. Joseph’s Catholic Church took place on June 17th, when Miss Mary Frances Griffin youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Griffin, of Forest Lake, became the bride of Mr. John Joseph Bergin, of Little Meadows. For many years the bride has been a school teacher in the Susquehanna County and since the death of the late Miss O’Reilly, has been in charge of the choir serving faithfully as organist and vocalist. The groom is one of Little Meadow’s most popular young men, who conducts a store in his hometown.

Hop Bottom - The auto drivers are too numerous to mention. They seem to have the best right to the public highway, followed by a cloud of dust we do not enjoy.

Springville - Wm. Peet, who had lived for years near the Baker Creamery, was buried at the Lynn cemetery on Tuesday. He was a veteran of the Civil War. ALSO: At Lynn, the quarantine has been lifted from the homes of J.S. Howard and Mrs. Adah Hartman for mumps and measles.

Forest City - John Lukus, Archie Perry, John Brink and W.J. Bryant were fishing at Miller’s pond the first of the week. They came to Herrick Center and were at Flynn’s hotel for supper when a stranger walked up and demanded to see their fish. They willingly complied with the request when the aforesaid stranger announced that he was W.C. Shoemaker, of Laceyville, and that he was state game warden and that their presence was desired in Judge Bowell’s court, whither the fisherman went. The judge imposed a modest fine of $80, or $10 for each fish, and $2 was assessed for trimmings. The fish, it is said, were 11 ½” in length, being ½ inch less then legal size.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page