July 08 1899/1999
New Milford: Mr. L. Gillespie, of Binghamton, is improving his property on the hill by grading and adding a broad porch to his residence and will soon take possession of it.
Gibson: Death has again visited our midst and removed to that higher life our friend and neighbor, Mrs. Ollie Craft. She was stricken down suddenly while at her usual household duties with heart failure. She has a husband and seven children and a large circle of friends to mourn her untimely death.
Auburn: P.M. Harris of Auburn 4 Corners, while planting corn recently, found a half cent dated 1804.
Harford: the Harford Cornet Band made a most favorable impression on Tuesday, both by their handsome appearance in their neat and effective uniforms and the excellent variety of high class music which they rendered throughout the day in such an admirable manner. It is rumored that this band will be engaged by Montrose Hose Co. No. 2 to accompany them to the firemens' convention at Tunkhannock the last of next month.
Susquehanna: on Monday evening fire was discovered in Fenner's photograph gallery on the second floor of the Falkenbury Block, corner of Main St. and Erie Ave. The fire department responded promptly to the alarm and by hard work averted a serious blaze. As it was, the Falkenbury Block was badly damaged, and the Central House damaged to the extent of $1000. The gallery was ruined by fire and water and the contents of Buckley's store room and O'Leary's tailor shop, also on the second floor, were badly damaged. John Buckley's dry goods and clothing and French & Allpaugh's printing establishment were damaged by water. The cause of the fire is unknown.
Montrose: Sheriff Ward Deuel distinguished himself on the Fourth by an act of bravery which undoubtedly saved the lives of at least two people and saved a number of others from serious injury. A horse running away, with a drunken driver, was about to dash into a crowd of women and children and was almost upon two women when the Sheriff, taking in the situation at a glance, made a dash for the horse's head, grasped it by the bit, and by main force turned the horse and wagon completely around and brought them to a stand-still.
Forest Lake: A pleasant social event took place at the home of George Small on June 26th. It being his 59th birthday, his sisters, Mrs. L. H. Lincoln and Mrs. D. L. Dewers, planned to surprise him. Guests, numbering 40, gathered at his home, and when all had arrived, Mr. Small was called from his work in a field near by. After a bountiful dinner was served some bright recitations were rendered by Misses Lena and Hazel Ball, Lula Lindsley and Lee H. Lincoln, Jr. The chief feature of the afternoon was the presentation of a purse to Mr. Small tendered by L. H. Lincoln in behalf of the company.
Great Bend: Miss Anna Mae Wilmot was graduated at the Drexel Institute, Philadelphia, in the stenography course. She has a position in stenography in the city.
Howard Hill [Liberty Twp.]: Elmer Bailey has purchased a new Deering mowing machine.
Rush: The ever-glorious 4th was ushered in very early in the morning by the firing of cannon and ringing of church bell. Old glory was flung to the breeze from every house and vantage point. A new 20 foot flag was secured for the flag-staff near McCain¹s store and the old one was stretched from the Post-office to Overton¹s harness shop and dwelling. The rattle of the cracker from big heavy detonators to the diminutive snapper was heard from early morn to late. The day was clear and hot without sultriness; the crowd was large, orderly and happy; the grove was filled to overflowing and was a surprise to everybody, even the villagers did not know there was such a place susceptible of use for picnic purposes. The programme of the day was gone through with in a highly creditable manner. A very interesting ball game was played by the Fairdale and Rush clubs. There was some very good and very poor playing but that did not prevent it from being enjoyed. The crowd was in good humor and laughed where it could not applaud. The total receipts were $145.23.
Oakland: An unfortunate accident occurred on Sunday afternoon at Riverside Park. The steamer "Erminie," leaving the Oakland Side at two o'clock, steamed up alongside of Riverside Park dock, reached by a suspension bridge which had been newly erected. On the shore were several hundred people awaiting a ride on the steamer to Forest House Park and return. There was a rush of ticket holders through the gate upon the bridge leading to the steamer and when possibly 200 people filled the bridge, with a sudden crash it collapsed and all were precipitated in the water, which at that point was two or three feet deep. The ladies and children were promptly rescued and no one was injured. After the excitement was over the steamer again filled up, the band played on and pleasure reigned supreme once more.
West Lenox: The booming of cannon at Montrose, the 4th, was distinctly heard at this place, and forcibly reminded us of the days of '61 and '65.
Fairdale: Gilbert Robinson, from Deadwood, South Dakota, is visiting friends here. He formerly lived near Fairdale. He brought a car-load of horses and had an auction sale.
South Montrose: The L.A.S. has purchased cushions for the church. Now those who could not attend on account of the hard seats, come and enjoy one of the good sermons which we have every Sunday afternoon at 2:30.
Compiled By: Betty Smith