top of page

January 28 1899/1999

Rush - Judson Millard, while driving his high-spirited horse toward home the other night, had just turned Angle's corner's when the bit broke and the horse sprang into a terrific run. Judson had no control and so he climbed over the dash and got on the horse's back and then moved forward and put one arm around the horse's neck, and with the other got the horse by the nose and stopped his wind and the horse stopped. A novel and successful way and worth noting.

Brooklyn - Mr. Richardson, our shoemaker, is able to be out again after suffering several days with severe bruises, caused by a fall on the ice.

Lanesboro - At last! Lanesboro has organized a fire company and expects to have an electric fire alarm system.

Susquehanna - It was last week reported that Miss Kittie Thompson, an aged lady, was dead. It was later discovered that Miss Thompson was alive; she has the satisfaction of reading her own obituary.

Dimock - There will be a social held at the house of J. D. Baker on Tuesday evening January 31, for the benefit of the Baptist church. Oysters will be served. All are invited.

Uniondale - The Uniondale Orchestra practices two or three times each week and we anticipate hearing some fine music in the near future. AND Dr. Underwood, osteopathy physician, makes his headquarters at Urbane Barriager's.

Franklin Twp. - At the sheriff's sale last Saturday Henry Patrick bought the Bloom Howard farm in Franklin, 125 acres, for $1500.

Great Bend - J. F. Carl, of Keystone farm, will open a store for the sale of flour, feed and agricultural implements. AND Last summer Robert Ferguson built one of the finest modern-style porches on the front of his house to be found in the town, and underneath his porch, unbeknown to even his own family, Bob operated an incubator. The middle of January his people were surprised to see the favorite old Dominick proudly march out with a small brood of thoroughbred old-fashioned chickens. Some of the family scolded at the idea of a Notary Public raising chickens in mid winter but Bob said he would show Frank Clauss and Sam More that he could raise just as early chickens as they could. Now Robert takes the chickens to bed with him nights and he has invented a patent feeder which acts automatically. We expect to be invited to eat chicken-pie and strawberries and cream at his residence the last of May if Robert's bodily heat and hovering qualities hold out during February and March.

Harford - Word was received that Judge Henry Warren Williams, one of the seven justices of the supreme court of Pennsylvania, died January 25th. Born in Harford in 1830, he studied law at Wellsboro, Tioga county, and was admitted to the bar of that county in 1854. In 1865 he was appointed by Governor Curtin as law judge of the fourth state judicial district. He was subsequently elected and re-elected and occupied the position for over 22 years. He was elected a supreme court judge in 1887 for a term of 21 years.

Brookdale - Mrs. L. W. Allen celebrated her 79th birthday last Tuesday, the 24th. She walked to her daughter's a short distance, and took dinner with her family and some friends.

Montrose - The dispute that has arisen as to who is entitled to the $1000 reward offered by the Commissioners for information leading to the apprehension and conviction of the murderers of Jackson Pepper, is to be settled in the courts. W. S. Merselis, who was the first to give the District Attorney the information that led to the arrest of Shew and Eagan, has brought suit against the county to obtain the payment of the reward. Chief-of-Police McMahon, of Susquehanna, and Deputy Sheriff Perry, of Deposit, who assisted in the arrest of the prisoners, both claim the reward and Susie Graham thinks she is entitled to it.

Ainey - Mrs. Ida Sutton requests the person who has her hay knife to please return it as it is needed.

Forest City - The hotel of Peter Walsh, near the Erie depot, was completely gutted and the building nearly destroyed by fire last week. Mr. Walsh's loss was about $1500 with $500 insurance. It was insured for $2500. It will probably be rebuilt.

Gibson - The Historical Society received two calls regarding the five boys who were drowned in the sledding accident reported in the 100 Years column of January 20, 1999. Fred Hoal informed us that his father, Leonard, owned the sled that carried the boys who were drowned. The sled was taken from his father by an older boy who wanted to drive, and therefore Leonard was not among the ones who perished. Jay Tripp also survived. Carol Tripp called to correct the name of Jay Tripp, not Ray, as the newspaper reported. Also, it is thought that a memorial window was placed in an area church for the boys. Does anyone know what church?

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page