top of page

January 19 1912/2012

Frigid Weather - The long-continued cold spell has been a record breaker, both in point of severity and in duration. Perhaps last Saturday morning saw the lowest temperature. In Montrose, at Burns’ Drug Store, the mercury stood at 14 below zero, although temperatures as low as 18 and so are reported at different points, 32 below zero at Rush, and 28 at Franklin Forks, as extremes; 35 below also comes from Rushville and Brooklyn, modest as usual, claimed but 20 below.

Hallstead - T. J. Connors, a Lackawanna engineer, set his clothes on fire at Nicholson Friday night and was quite seriously burned by a torch igniting his overalls. He tore the burning garment off but the flames reached his legs and his hands were scorched. In spite of his burns Connors ran his engine from Nicholson to Clark’s Summit and then back to Halstead, making the round trip of fifty-six miles. Since reaching his home he has been threatened with pneumonia due to the accident and exposure.

Susquehanna - John Leslie, one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of Susquehanna, died on Jan. 12, 1912, in Scranton, where he had been for the past month undergoing medical treatment. Mr. Leslie was for many years one of the leading marble dealers but his mind had been in bad shape, mentally, for the past two years.

Forest City - The feet of Frank Eustice, a peddler of Leggart St., Forest City, aged 50 years, were amputated at the State hospital in Scranton last Thursday morning. Eustice, on Wednesday last, while walking along the road near Uniondale, came to an empty farm house, which he entered, intending to rest awhile. His feet were cold, so taking off his shoes he wrapped his coat around his feet and lying down fell asleep. On awakening he found that his feet were so swollen it was impossible to replace his shoes and he was forced to walk three miles barefooted. His feet were so frozen by the walk it was found necessary to send him to the hospital in Scranton where it was discovered amputation was imperative.

Montrose - Automobiles have been flitting about our streets regardless of the zero weather. They are fast becoming an all the year round vehicle even in freezing latitudes. We see Mr. Ballantine’s machine almost every day, and Landlord Horton is a persistent auto user.

Uniondale/Tirzah - George Giles, of Tirzah, had the misfortune of letting his team get away from him last Friday. He was getting ready to take his milk to Herrick Station; he had loaded milk in the sleigh when the team became frightened and ran; they made for Johnson Hill, which is very steep and ½ mile long. They unloaded the milk along the route and were caught near Harry Howells. One of the horses was injured quite badly. ALSO A bevy of school girls from Uniondale School went for a straw ride last Saturday; the weather was fine and they reported a lively ride, visiting the Forest City Poor Farm and Herrick Centre. They ate candy, sang songs, cracked jokes and had a huge time.

Heart Lake - The home of Amos Rose was burned Wednesday evening. The interior of the building was in flames when Mrs. Rose made the discovery, the odor of burning wood causing her to investigate. On opening a stairway door the flames burst forth, and the three inmates had barely time to escape with their lives, being unable to save but little of the household goods. Mr. Rose was working at Heart Lake at the time and arrived when only the burning embers of his home remained. The goods were insured for $200.

Fowler Hill - John Wooton, who went to Sayre hospital some weeks ago, has not returned home yet, but is improving at this writing.

Clifford - Prof. Lyndon Auers (Ayers?], who traded his Philadelphia property for Peter White’s, in this place, has now traded the latter for Hiram Rivenburg’s farm and Mr. Rivenburg, whose health is poor, will occupy the White property.

Fairdale - Will we see you there? Where? At church next Sunday. Your presence would be an inspiration to others. In short, we need your help and you need ours. Come!

Lynn, Springville - Our oldest citizens say this is the coldest weather we have had in 18 years. The cold has, in many places, penetrated the cellars, many losing their apples and potatoes.

New Milford - Mrs. C. R. Bailey has a supply of feather beds made from live geese feathers which are doing no one any good and could be obtained by addressing her at New Milford. A reasonable sum would be required for packing and expressing, as the newspapers say.

Friendsville - The homes of Miss Louisa Whelan, sister of the late Rev. J. B. Whelan, of Scranton, and Mrs. Ann Tierney, an aged lady, were totally destroyed by fire at an early hour Tuesday morning. The fire started in Mrs. Tierney’s residence first and in a few moments the house of Miss Whalen was ablaze. Kind neighbors are caring for Mrs. Tierney and Miss Whelan has been cared for at St. Francis Xavier’s rectory, since the fire. Miss Whelan carried $1500 insurance and Mrs. Tierney, $900.

Mason and Dixon Line - The name Mason and Dixon line has been popularly applied to the whole divisory line between free and slave soil, but properly it belongs only to the south boundary of Pennsylvania, surveyed by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon, 1763-67. For over 100 years this line was a bone of contention. England sent Mason and Dixon to the colonies to make an official survey which was to be final. At the end of every 5th mile of this line a stone, brought from England, was placed, engraved on one side with the coat of arms of Lord Baltimore, and on the other with those of the Penn’s; while the intermediate miles were marked by smaller stones, 16” square and 18” high, bearing a letter M on one side and P on the other. The line is 280 miles long.

Civil War Veterans - It is a coincidence that a single issue of the Montrose Democrat chronicles the death of two men who were with Gen. Sherman in his historic march to the sea. Only two days intervened between their deaths. One was Isaac Hart, of Fairdale, born in 1841, who served in Co. B. 17th Pennsylvania cavalry. He was captured during one of the engagements and taken to Salisbury, NC, where he was confined in a Confederate prison until the surrender of Gen. Johnson. The second was Charles M. Sherman, of Montrose, born in 1836. When the war broke out he enlisted as a veterinary surgeon with the 9th Pennsylvania cavalry. He was with Sherman in the march that cut the Confederacy in two and also among the envied veterans who marched past the capitol, at Washington, in that historic review by President Lincoln.

New Song Hits - There’s a Mother Old and Gray Who Needs Me Now, Years, Years Ago, Down in Melody Lane, The Undertaker Man, and Let Me Call You Sweetheart.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page