January 15 1897/1997
Birchardville – Any one having diseased hens will do well to call on or write to Mrs. M. L. Ball, as she is making a specialty of curing them. Charges reasonable.
Flynn – Boys, when going home from a party, be sure and get your own wagon, even though you have the school mar'm. AND Our school mar'm was presented with a beautiful pair of skates from her scholars.
Montrose – At the annual meeting of the Susquehanna County Historical Society it was called to the attention of the gathering that during next year, 1898, would come the 100th anniversary of the settling of Bridgewater and Montrose. [It is now 100 years later and 1988 is approaching].
Hallstead – George H. Gleason has assumed the editor's chair of the Hallstead "Herald." AND Rollie B. Truesdell, of Binghamton reported at the Historical Society meeting, that Hallstead had been once known as Greenville.
New Milford – At about 3 o'clock, Sunday morning, flames were discovered in the roof of Farrar & Henderson's livery stable. The alarm was given and four horses and several wagons were saved. One horse, two wagons robes, blankets, and other property were burned. The store building of Mrs. R. Mosher, adjoining, also took fire and was gutted. The firemen succeeded in confining the flames to the two buildings mentioned. The Mosher building was occupied by Charles Brown, barber; W. Y. Weston, dentist; John J. Hand, grocer, insured for $1000 and jeweler Gillespie Insured for $800. Mrs. Mosher’s loss is partly covered by insurance. Farrar & Henderson's loss is $400. They were insured. The building was an old landmark, having been erected nearly 50 years ago.
Thompson – At high noon New Year's day a very pleasant event took place at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Jesse Denney in Thompson. The occasion was the marriage of Miss Minnie Arena Denney to Herbert J. Howell. The ceremony was Performed in the presence of a large number of friends and relatives by Rev. H.J. Crane of Uniondale. The bridesmaid was Miss Agnes Severy, of Binghamton, and the best man was Mr. Alvah Denney.
Lynn – N. G. Sherman and son are busy with their stalk cuter, culling corn stalks and straw for their neighbors, which, by the way, is one of the best machines in use.
Ararat – Mr. & Mrs. C. F. Walker and children of Susquehanna; Mr. & Mrs. J. M. Walker and children; Mr. & Mrs. Wm. Arthur, of Carbondale and L. G. Walker and lady of Forest City, spent Christmas with their Parents, Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Walker.
Auburn Centre – M.G. Linabery has bought out B. J. Doughtery & Co. AND expects to run a first-class country store; takes possession about February 15th, at which time he will begin to wait on all who come.
Clifford – There was another Fitzsimmons and Corbett knock down in Decker's store Saturday night. Our boys have been just a little too noisy for the last few nights. They better take warning in time.
Stevens Point – John Wanamaker, of Philadelphia, has presented the new Methodist church with a Bible, hymnals, etc.
Forest City – The girls' industrial school has recently been opened at Forest City. The school is undenominational and the object is to so educate young girls that they may become useful women.
Susquehanna – The last order for five locomotives has just been completed at the Erie shops. Five more of a different pattern are to be built at once. AND E. B. Thomas, President of the Erie, says that if Congress and all the Legislators would go home, business would boom tomorrow.
Gibson - IN MEMORIUM: Roena A. Belcher, the subject of this sketch, was born in Gibson township in 1820, on what is known as the Maxey farm. Her father, John Belcher, coming from Vermont in 1790 settled upon this farm, then a mere tract of timberland, and from the beechen forest hewed out a home, where he reared a family of 11 children [the last two by a second marriage]. All of these lived to manhood and womanhood, Roena Ann being the youngest. Her brother, Wm, of Factoryville. is the only survivor. Her grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary war and she could recall many of his army stories. In 1839 she was united in marriage to Horace Yeomans by A. B. Hewitt, Esq., and came to Brooklyn in 1840. A few years later removed to Lathrop purchasing a part of what was known as the "Drinker tract" of land. Here by untiring industry and perseverance they succeeded in making a home, to which she clung until the time of her death, which occurred Dec. 17, 1896, although her husband died in the prime of his manhood in 1859. She is survived by her five children Frederick of Easton, Edward of Scranton, Mrs. E. M. Crandall, Mrs. B.A. Hilton and Herbert of Hop Bottom, who though they mourn the loss of a dear mother, can indeed rise up and call her blessed.
Compiled By: Betty Smith