top of page

January 03 1898/1998

Forest City - A ten year-old lad named Marsland, while sliding down Dundaff street the other day, was kicked in the face by a horse and painfully injured. AND James H. Buckland has been granted a government [military] pension of $10 per month.

Brooklyn - Chas. H. Tiffany, the enterprising business man and all-round hustler, is engaged just now in the establishment of a system of water works with which to supply the denizens of Brooklyn pure and sparkling water.

Great Bend - A most serious wreck occurred on the Erie railroad on Saturday afternoon. The engine attached to No. 8, a vestibule train, jumped the track on the curve near the station, turned around and fell over on its side. The baggage car was also derailed. Fireman Ready, of Owego, was caught by the corner of the tender, on the back of his neck, and pinned to the earth and killed. Engineer Welch and fireman Smith were seriously injured. Congressman C. Fred Wright was a passenger on the train, but escaped injury. No. 8 is a fast train and does not stop at Great Bend, its usual rate of speed through that place being 35 to 40 miles per hour. The derailment was caused by the spreading of a rail at a slip switch. No blame or negligence is attributed to any one, the accident being one of the occasional unavoidable happenings of railroading. The locomotive is the E. B. Thomas which was on exhibition at the world's fair, and is a total wreck.

Bridgewater - J. R. Beebe has been appointed Assistant Doorkeeper of the State Senate at Harrisburg. "Jo" is an unswerving Republican, who has done valiant work for the party and is in every way worthy of the honor bestowed.

Rush - The death of Mrs. Sally Frink Pepper, widow of the late Philander H. Pepper, died at the home of her nephew, J. O. Hartford on Jan. 22, 1899. In the 79th year of her age. Burial at the Snyder cemetery where she was laid to rest by the side of her step-son, the late Jackson Pepper, who was brutally murdered in October, 1897. The terrible experience of the night of Jackson Pepper's murder produced a shock to the old lady from which she never recovered.

Lanesboro - It is stated that the authorities will offer a reward of $500 for the apprehension and conviction of the fire bugs recently operating in that borough.

Hallstead - The Methodist official board has consented to allow preparations for raising the church structure about two feet higher on the foundation, excavating and completing the basement into several rooms for social uses of the church societies, at an expense of over $600.

East Rush - Our blacksmith, Mr. Hunsinger, is rushed with business from early morn till late at night.

Clifford - D. C. Wells, while doing some chores in his barn last week fell from a mow of hay to the barn floor, striking on his head, not only cutting but bruising his head so as to make him unconscious and caused a blood vessel to burst near one eye. He laid there he does not know how long, but made his way to the house. Dr. G. A. Fike was called and found him in a critical condition. He is now in a fair way to recover. The doctor thinks there are no bones broken. AND T. J. Wells has sold his black pacer, Topsy, to a Mr. Manning, of Lenox. T. J. thinks he has had enough of fast horses.

Uniondale - The semi-monthly exercises of the Browning Literary Society, were held at Room No. 1 Graded School, on Friday last.

Lenox - Monday evening one of the pleasant events of life occurred when the friends of Mrs. G. N. Bennett assembled at her pleasant home in Glenwood, to celebrate her birthday. A sumptuous supper was provided by the invading party and the evening was spent in playing games, music, etc., and a substantial token or respect was presented to the hostess.

Montrose - At the annual meeting of the Historical Society, on Jan. 21st, many interesting reports were given including R.S. Searle's reminiscences of going to a Quaker meeting near Friendsville, where the audience sat two hours without a word from anyone, and then they all quietly filed out. He also reported that it once took about two days to go to New York by stage--fare $5. Still earlier, the mail was delivered once a month by a carrier on horseback. D. T. Brewster spoke of Hamilton Youngs, the last surviving slave to come here by way of the "underground railway," coming with four others, assisted along the line by the "agents" of the underground line.

New Milford - J. H. W. Bradford died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. U. B. Gillett, on Jan. 14, aged 78. Mr. Bradford was born in Connecticut and removed with his parents to this county in 1840. He married Hannah M. Page in 1843, bought a farm and lived thereon until the death of his wife, since which time he has made his home with his daughter. It has been said of him: "He was a kind, good man; honorable, just and peace-loving. Having worked out the problem of life, he is now resting from his labors in the eternal sleep of a peace well earned."

Tunkhannock - J. Walter Tewksbury, son of Dr. Tewksbury, and a former resident of Susquehanna County, has just made a new indoor record in the special intercollegiate 60-yard handicap at Madison Square Garden, NY. His time was 62.6 seconds, winning by 3 yards over his nearest coompetitor.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page