top of page

February 05 1904/2004

Hop Bottom - Mr. William Crandall and wife celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary, Feb. 1st, at the home of William Wright, on the same farm where they commenced housekeeping in a log house 60 years ago. He is 81 and she is 80. Mr. Henry Coleman and wife celebrated their 50th anniversary, Jan 30th, at the home of their daughter, Mrs. VanAlstyne.

Glenwood - Mrs. Goss, who is blind, was left for a short time by her daughter, her dress coming in contact with the stove at once took fire. Smelling smoke she found that she was on fire, she then took the dinner horn, which she keeps near her and finding her way to the door gave the alarm. The neighbors rushed to her, finding her in flames, the fire was soon smothered and all damage passed, one dress and two cushions was the extent of the damage.

Jackson - The North Jackson long distance telephone wire, was last week strung to the borough limits of Susquehanna. AND W. W. Pope and P. K. Benson are building a large number of Pope extension ladders.

East Dimock - Mrs. Henry Perry is now making butter and her patrons will be glad to hear of it, by the way it is fine. AND In Dimock L. F. Thornton will buy all pole cats alive, brought to him.

Dundaff - The mail carrier from Dundaff to Elkdale has to wear snow shoes on account of the deep snow.

Birchardville - There is quite a strife with us about our schools; some want one school and some two, but those that have the most to say are those who have no children to send. AND Jas. Hallinan's barn blowed down the 21st. It was known as the Thacher barn.

South Auburn - The Grangers and their families, of this place, and a few invited guests were given a feast at the home of the retiring Master D. L. Carter. 108 were present and a very enjoyable time was spent.

Clifford - Perry and Willie Yarns are building an electric light plant or machine to light their house and mill [and] if they succeed in producing the light it will be a wonderful thing. It is now being completed and will be watched by many to see whether it will be a success. At any rate, there is some very difficult work about the machine.

Welsh Hill - The friends in this place of Walter Horn were pained to hear of his tragic death, being killed by [railroad] cars, at Carbondale, Sunday morning. Mr. Horn was married about three months ago to Miss Etta Wells, of Elkdale, who is well known here having been a frequent visitor at the home of her cousin, Mrs. D. J. Morgan.

Rushville - C. E. Hoag has purchased the stage line from Rushville to Montrose. He wishes to announce that the stage will leave Rushville at 6 o'clock a.m. and leave Rush at 7:45 a.m.

Montrose - The National Stock Co., at Village Hall, this week, gave three good plays that were witnessed by large and appreciative audiences. A very striking feature was Miss Frankie Partridge, assisted by F. C. Turner, in her illustrated songs. Frank Evans in his buck dancing, whirling the baton and his clever handling of the tambourine, made a great hit. The company as a whole is seldom surpassed.

Great Bend - Probably one of the most interesting antiquities in the county is now at Reckhow's store in this place. It is an old style chair and was given by Martha Washington to Rachel Hasbrook, when the Washington's were leaving the army headquarters at Newburg at the close of the Revolutionary war. From Rachel Hasbrook the chair descended to her grand-daughter, Elizabeth Eager, who now leaves it together with other antiquities to her daughter. [Elizabeth Eager, of East Great Bend, died May 13, 1903, death resulting from a fall.]

Oakley, Harford Twp. - Letter to the Montrose Democrat: "I wish to report that I am wintering 160 hens. I use Cypher's poultry foods and methods, and think it pays. In the month of December they laid 1516 eggs, which sold for $45.48. In January they layed 2156 eggs, which sold for $50.56, besides keeping out 50 doz. to fill incubator. Respectfully, W. M. Wilmarth."

Forest Lake - Elder Tilden buried poor old Jack, his horse he had driven for 25 years.

Susquehanna - Borough politics are warming up. The sewerage question is to the front. AND Miss Bridget Millane, an aged resident of Hallstead, died on Friday morning at the home of her brother, Michael Millane, in this place. While walking along Main Street a few weeks since, she was pushed over by some young people who were scuffling and sustained a fractured hip.

Ararat - The report is current that a large summer hotel will be erected at Fiddle Lake the coming summer.

New Milford - Richard Moss, a native of New Milford, son of F. F. Moss, for many years a resident of New Milford, has been promoted to the responsible position of master mechanic of the Jersey City, Hoboken and Paterson Street Railway company shops. Mr. Moss learned his trade in the Susquehanna machine shops.

Forest City - Thrilling escapes made in night attire by several persons, damages to the amount of nearly $30,000, narrow escapes of firemen and spectators from the falling walls, were the main happenings of a destructive fire which raged for several hours on the east side of Main street in the business section. The fire was discovered by Dr. Knapp, on a 2 a.m. call, who first noticed smoke issuing from a single dwelling. Fanned by a strong wind the flames made great headway in home of H. W. Brown, and used as his harness shop, in which was also Hennan & Mahoney's cigar factory and the tailoring shop of Benjamin Gilgenast. The blaze jumped to the adjoining double building, which was occupied by E. E. Deming's feed store on the first floor and by Mr. Heller's and Brown's families on the second floor. In this building was also the residence of Tailor Gilgenast, and his escape was one of the most thrilling of the fire. Being a sound sleeper he had been awakened only after much shouting. It was so hot in the room that the tailor was compelled to go out on the porch to dress and left his jewelry behind. After dressing in part on the porch, Mr. Gilgenast had no way to escape, all routes being cut off, and he prepared to jump from the porch. While the crowd fell back, the tailor coolly walked to a point above the ground where a large drift of snow had rested and then made the jump, landing without any injuries. In other homes there were several narrow escapes and it was more to good fortune than anything else that fatalities are not recorded.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page