top of page

February 02 1906/2006

Springville - The first rural route out from Springville started yesterday. It takes in the section of country through East Lynn, Avery, Tyler station and Auburn and gives service to a large number of people in that section. An application for another route has been made, but as yet there is no response from Washington.

Montrose - W. A. Harrington has been granted the Tarbell House liquor license, the order of the court having gone into effect yesterday and Mr. Harrington will succeed J. R. Raynsford as proprietor. As we stated last week, Giles M. Carpenter, formerly of the Jay House, New Milford, is the new proprietor of the Montrose House, formerly conducted by his brother, E. D. Carpenter. AND In a recent sermon, Rev. J. M. MacInnis, of the Presbyterian church, said he wanted to clear the town of unrighteousness, of gossip and tattling, the last two being denounced in scathing terms.

Rush - While Seth Stark and Grace Snell were driving near Tom James's their horse became frightened at an engine in the road, tipping the wagon over, throwing them out and hurting them quite bad. Miss Snell was brought to Rush where she is being cared for by her sister, Mrs. Roberts.

Herrick - A fine deer has been seen near here several times within the last two weeks. It is reported that one of our farmers took a shot at it the other morning, but failed to get it. Possibly a good thing, as the law is quite severe on those that hunt out of season.

Uniondale - Miss Daisy Bronson has a "den of comfort," furnished mostly with antiquities.

Brooklyn - The G. A. R. banquet at the Odd Fellows' Hall last Saturday was well attended, an unusually large number of veterans [Civil War], as well as invited guests, being present. The yellow-legged chicken dinner brought the clergy out in full force. The old soldiers fought their battles o'er again and did it well.

Clifford - We have had two or three persons buried in our cemetery under the new law, nine ft. deep, with deputy registrars, and with provisos, and removals, and burial permits and transit permits, records, births, certificate of death, death without medical attendance, undertaker's duty, certificates of physician, issue of permits, neglect to file birth certifi-cates, and 100 other things under our new law which in our opinion ought to be repealed and [Gov.] Pennypacker and Representatives that voted for the law turned out of office.

New Milford - Prof. Donnelley, of Binghamton, is conducting dancing school in this place.

Lenox - Christy Mathewson, the great base ball pitcher, of New York, J. Eilenberger of Factoryville, J. M. Jeffers, of Montrose, G. A. Roberts and J. W. Bisbee, of Hop Bottom, F. A. Jeffers and W. A. Jeffers spent Monday of last week fishing at Jeffers' Lake, with fair success.

Gibson - John J. Potter has taken down his factory here and is moving it to New Milford, where he will erect a mill.

Liberty Twp. - Jasper T. Jennings wrote the following in his "Geography and History of Susquehanna County:' Where was the first school house built? At Brookdale, on Snake creek, Edward Hazard built the house and taught the first school. The schoolhouse that Mr. Hazard built was a framed one, and was finished in quite tasty style for those days, but many of the early school houses were built of logs, with the seats made of slabs or split logs hewed smooth, with legs inserted through two inch auger holes, and arranged facing the wall, around which a wide shelf was put up for a desk, and here the "young idea was taught how to shoot." Here the teacher or "master" as he was then called, ruled with a rod of birch, which oftentimes was more a "rod of iron" than a rod of wood. They read in the famous old English Reader, or the American Precentor, or perhaps Hale's History or the Testament or Hirkham's Grammar and though they labored under great disadvantages in comparison with our school privileges of the present time, some there were who succeeded in getting a fairly good education.

Susquehanna - Yesterday morning P. J. Moran was at the footbridge west of Great Bend and was struck by train 20 eastward bound. He was picked up and brought to this place and is now at the home of his mother on Jackson street. He was badly bruised and cut and sustained internal injuries. His life, we understand, is in jeopardy. Mr. Moran died this morning.

Forest City/Uniondale - A large part of the population of Uniondale has been laughing up its sleeves the past few days. Forest City fishermen have been the cause of it all. The capturing of Forest City fishermen has become a leading Uniondale industry and one of considerable profit to those engaged in the business. William Steinburg, the baker, and his son, went fishing on Monday up to Stillwater. William cut two holes in the ice, one for himself and one for his boy and fastening a couple of lines to a piece of brush he began to fish. He noticed a young man on the ice cutting figures eights, but paid no attention to him until the skater came up to him and told him he had a bite. He pulled in a pickerel. The pickerel proved to be a bite for both Bill and the skater, however, as the latter informed Mr. Steinburg that he was C. H. Coleman, the fish warden and that he would take possession of the six fish and fishermen. He took them to Uniondale where a hearing was had before Squire Bass. William was fined $25 for illegal fishing and $10 a fish or $60 for the six fish caught. This fine with the cost made $86.60. William gave a check for the amount and departed with one of the illegal fish, which he had asked for and received so that he might eat, for once in his life, an $86 dinner. Then homeward he plod his weary way. Reaching home he consulted his attorney, F. M. Gardiner, who promptly issued orders on the bank to "stop" payment for the check. Meanwhile that piece of paper had been converted into coin at the Uniondale store and divided. Tuesday it was gathered together into a pile again. The case hinged on the question as to whether a fine could be imposed for each fish as well as the illegal devices. The case was settled on payment of $26.60

News Brief: Last November the veteran goose bone prophet of Reading gave the public his prophecy for the winter. It predicted mild open weather, with only an occasional sprit of cold, until about the first of February. Then he said winter really would set in and continue until the middle of March. To this date the reputation of the Reading prophet is excellent. Now let us see if we have snow and sleigh riding in February.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page