top of page

December 20 1897/1997

Jessup - The 13th of Dec. 1897, being the 14th anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Griffis, their neighbors and friends decided to make them a surprise party. What good things to eat chicken Pie, cake, pudding, cabbage, celery, pumpkin pie etc. The couple received a nice set of dishes of 120 pieces, l doz. silver knives and forks, a nice rocking chair, a pair of bed blankets and a number of smaller but useful articles.

Montrose - At the regular meeting of Four Brothers Post, G.A.R., last Saturday evening, Comrade Surgeon, Dr. C. C. Halsey, presented a cannon ball taken from the ruins of Fort Sumter soon after the war, also a piece of wood taken from the hull of the Confederate ship Merrimac. Also a book entitled "Four Years in the War of the First Delaware Volunteer Infantry." The gifts were gratefully received and it is hoped they will be a nucleus for a large collection of war relics. Those having war relics that they are willing to donate to the Post need not be timid about making their wishes known.

Rush - S. B. McCain's store was broken into Sunday night. Two holes were drilled in the safe preparatory to blowing it open, but one of the drills breaking off, work on the safe was abandoned. The cash register was broken open, only to be found empty, and then the would-be thieves left in disgust, for all the trouble they had been to. Three tramps were seen in Rush on Sunday and they are suspected of being the guilty parties.

Thompson - We learn that Miss Libbie Hine and Mr. E. Bennett, of Lanesboro, were married last week.

Brookdale - Lina Tripp has struck a Klondike--not a gold-mine exactly, but a mine of gray foxes, of which he has captured three within the last ten days. As there is a bounty of one dollar on each one, he is the only man in the town, who is making any money.

Forest Lake - Thieves entered the cellar at Charles Burr's after he had butchered, and carried away his pork that was cut up ready for packing, but some wily person, or persons, packed his pork for him. Such help is not gratefully accepted, and had Mr. Burr met his helper in the cellar, the results might have proved another tragedy.

Clifford - In Congress, Rep. Grow presented the petition of citizens of Susquehanna county praying for the establishment of a mail route from Royal Post Office to Herrick Center Post Office.

New Milford - A. H. Crosier, of Thomson, has purchased the undertaking business of N. F. Kimber and has taken as a partner, Mr. David VanBuskirk, of New Milford.

Hallstead - Hallstead and Great Bend ought to have a county bridge. There is no good reason for refusing the request. Those boroughs never kick when other towns ask for something. And it's greatly to their credit.

Birchardville - An effort is being made to raise funds for the purchase of a new organ for the church.

Lynn - Truman Baker has a good covered carriage for sale cheap for cash.

Hopbottom - Miss Grace Lord and Miss Bessie Lord have some very nice Christmas goods. Give them a call.

Susquehanna - The citizens of Susquehanna were thrown into a state of excitement early Saturday morning, Dec. 18, by a terrible tragedy on Church Hill. About 11 o'clock Friday night persons residing near the corner of Grand and Jackson streets heard a pistol-shot and shortly afterward, Mrs. Flora Yeager, aged 40 years, who resided with her mother, Mrs. Elvira Sweet, appeared upon the street in her night-clothes and stated to some passers that she had shot her mother. People quickly gathered, and entering the house, near the head of the stairs, found the prostrate form of Mrs. Sweet. She was fully dressed and conscious, but had a bullet-hole in her side, just below the heart. She said that "Flora did it," but immediately began making excuses for the daughter, saying that she had been sick so much that she was not accountable for the act. The daughter said they had quarrelled (which they frequently did) and that the mother had "made her mad." Mrs. Sweet lived about an hour and a half, and was conscious to within ten minutes of her death. Officer Washburne took Mrs. Yeager to the lock-up. She appeared perfectly calm, and gave some evidence of being insane. Mrs. Yeager was brought to Montrose jail, Saturday, where she remains impassive and will not talk. The murdered woman was the widow of the late G. O. Sweet, a leading Susquehanna photographer, whose death occurred about 20 yrs ago. Mrs. Yeager was the divorced wife of William Yeager. She and her mother have lived very quietly together and have, for several months, insulated themselves from their friends, and neighbors have believed that the mother and daughter were at loggerheads, and near neighbors predicted a tragedy at no far distance.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page