top of page

December 17 1920/2020

Montrose – Mrs. Mary G. Sayre, wife of Benjamin Chapman Sayre, passed away Dec. 11, 1920 in Jacksonville, Fla., at the age of 94. Her young womanhood was spent in Wilkes-Barre, her grandfather, Rev. Cyrus Gildersleeve, having been one of the early pastors of the First Presbyterian church. Her father, W. C. Gildersleeve, was a prominent business man of that city and a man of strong principles and deep-seated religious belief. During the years before the Civil War he was active in aiding escaping slaves to the Canadian border, being one of the foremost leaders in maintaining the “underground railway station” in Wilkes-Barre, which was one of the connecting links of the route, and included Scranton, Waverly, Montrose, Binghamton, Owego and numerous other points in Pennsylvania and New York State. It was Mary’s wish that she might pass from earth at her old home in Montrose and be laid by the side of her husband in the family plot in the Montrose cemetery. ALSO A very beautiful Christmas service has been arranged for Sunday evening, when the early part of the service will be given over to a Sermon of a Hundred Candles, in which a hundred candles will be used to teach some spiritual truths. This message will be of great interest to both the young and old. ALSO Mrs. Harry Gersowitz received information of the death of her sister, who resided at Stanesten, near Kovno, Russia. She was one of a considerable number who were killed or fatally wounded when a Polish airplane flew over the city and dropped a bomb. She lived several days after receiving the injuries and left six sons motherless by her death. Her husband was gone for four years during the war. When we Americans consider our peace, security and prosperity, it should make us more generous in giving of our means to aid those unfortunates in Europe and Asia.

Jackson – H. Marble Wells wrote a letter to be read by all his former friends and members of Capt. Dimock’s Co. D, 50th Pennsylvania Volunteers, of which he was a member. There were three: Marble, Velosco V. Leonard and P. K. Benson. They were on the ill-fated ship, Winfield Scott, 500 of the 50th. While off Cape Hatteras a hurricane blew the masts off and left the hull of the ship powerless, and for three days and three nights they pumped and baled water for their dear lives. They also threw everything overboard. When the storm ceased they were towed into Hilton Head, S. C. Wells and Leonard served time in southern prison dens. They all spoke very kindly of Capt. Dimock and “Fletch” Warner.

West Auburn – A chicken-pie dinner will be served on Thursday evening, Dec. 23d, in the church parlors, the proceeds to be divided 50-50 between the Near East Relief and pastor’s salary.

Harford – F. O. Miller and Hon. E. E. Jones have formed a partnership in the automobile business. Mr. Jones taking an active financial interest in the firm while Mr. Miller will supervise the business. The firm has leased a portion of Woodward’s garage in New Milford, where they will have their sales room. The Dodge car will be prominently featured.

Forest City – John Fararo has purchased the confectionery store of Peter Mancuso on North Main street and is in possession. ALSO Eugene Slick had three toes of his right foot crushed while at work in the mines Friday. He was removed to Emergency hospital.

Clifford – Sylvester Wells died at his home Thursday morning from pneumonia, aged 80 years. He was a lifelong resident of Clifford township and was one of the best known farmers in that section. He is survived by his wife and the following children: Mrs. Hattie A. Clark, of Brooklyn; Arthur, Ernest and Raymond.

Thompson – Mrs. Rachel Corey, of Jackson Street, is quilting a quilt containing one thousand, six hundred and seventy-three pieces.

Uniondale – Jerome Curtis has gone to stay with his son Benjamin, at Factoryville, for the winter. Mr. Curtis is one of the very few survivors of Co. M. 17th PA, Cavalry, of Civil War fame. He is eighty-three years of age, and says he remembers the time when he went to Honesdale to enlist, as if it happened only yesterday. ALSO Mrs. Grace McPherson, wife of Bert McPherson, was drawn as a juror to serve in the county court the first week of the next term. Bert is up in arms and says no court except a divorce court has the right to separate man and wife. Mrs. McPherson, for several years before her marriage, was one of the leading school teachers of this vicinity and will render a verdict according to the evidence in cases on which she may be drawn.

Lanesboro – Lanesboro experienced a very bad fire last night about nine o’clock when a barn owned by W. E. Bennett and occupied by Leslie Jones, an express deliveryman in Susquehanna, was burned. It is a large structure situated close to Firemen’s hall. In the barn were two horses, four cows, some pigs, twelve tons of hay, wagons and farming implements belonging to Mr. Jones. The Lanesboro fire company worked heroically to stay the fire, but the task was too great for their equipment. The Susquehanna fire trucks loaded with firemen rushed to Lanesboro and the Erie hose company gave great assistance with the motor engine and several lines of hose. O. H. Storer’s barn and Firemen’s hall were threatened but the flames were kept away by the judicious playing of streams from the fire hose.

Sapulpa, Oklahoma – Mrs. Roy Howells, who will be remembered as Miss Margaret Lyons, daughter of Mrs. A. W. Lyons, of Montrose, now of Chicago, swallowed a very valuable diamond ring December 5th, when bandits near Sapulpa accosted her and her husband in broad daylight. The Howells were crossing Oklahoma and just as their car drove onto a bridge, three masked men crawled from beneath the bridge, jumped in front of their Hudson car, and at the point of guns, commanded both to hold up their hands. After searching Howells and relieving him of about $200, the bandits disabled their car and were searching Mrs. Howells. When asked a question she swallowed one diamond ring, another she was able to secret in her dress.

News Brief: Governor Sproul, a short time ago, stood on the steps of the State Capitol at Harrisburg and auctioned off three health bonds to wage war on tuberculosis. Although one of the busiest men in the state, the Governor was not too busy to help the cause of sound health and was liberal enough to pay $75 for a $5.00 health bond.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page