top of page

December 02 1904/2004

Franklin Forks - The young hunters had quite an experience a few days ago. While out hunting the dogs started up three wild cats. The boys succeeded in shooting two of them. One measured 34 inches from the tip of its nose to the roots of its tail.

Forest City - Irving Goodrich and Raymond bond, two boys aged 16 and 13, broke through the ice on the water company's reservoir on Tuesday afternoon of last week and both were drowned. Searching parties were out all Tuesday night, but not until Wednesday afternoon at one o'clock was their fate known, when Howard Goodrich and his son, George, father and brother of one of the boys, found the place where they were drowned. A pair of rubbers was found on the shore and a few feet out a skate and the boys' caps. Help was immediately secured from the town and the bodies recovered. The supposition is that Bond fell in and that Goodrich, in attempting to rescue him, met his death also. Both were said to be able to swim, but their clothes, skates and the icy water handicapped them.

Hallstead - John VanValkenburg and Miss Minnie Waldron, of Unadilla, N.Y., were united in marriage last Wednesday evening by Rev. C. J. Benjamin at that gentleman's residence. The contracting parties arrived in Hallstead about noon and were greatly surprised and disappointed to find that our laws require a license from the Register and Recorder. The groom was not to be baffled, however, and with becoming perseverance he dispatched an agent across country to Montrose for the necessary papers which arrived in time for the ceremony the same evening. "None but the brave deserve the fair."

Montrose - The Montrose Telegraph and Telephone company have their trunk line with the Tunkhannock and Wyoming Valley Telephone company completed and are now enabled to give service to distant points, as Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Philadelphia, Towanda, Elmira, etc., with their intermediate points and connections. AND Glenn Nash is preparing to remove his family from Brooklyn to this place.

Rush - The annual Gentlemen's supper of the Trinity M.E. church is arranged to be held on Saturday night, Dec. 10th. Bill of fare will be: Hot corn bread, pork and beans, rye coffee, pumpkin pie, doughnuts and possibly meal pancakes.

Susquehanna - Lampham's Band, scheduled to appear in Hogan Opera House last Friday evening, failed to materialize.

Silver Lake - Supervisor P. R. Kane's family are again called to mourn. Only a little more than two months ago Bert, the 18 year old son, died suddenly from appendicitis. Last week, Wednesday, word came to them that Frank, the oldest son, had been injured at Schnectady while at his work as foreman of the carpenter shop of the locomotive works of that place. Mr. Kane and daughter, Mary, hurried to Schenectady only to reach there too late to find Frank alive, his death occurring at 1 o'clock Thanksgiving morning. He was 25 years of age. His funeral was one of the largest ever held in St. Augustine's church.

Upsonville - S. A. Smith and H. F. Smith, with relatives of Wyoming and Lackawanna counties, spent Thanksgiving at the pleasant home of D. J. Osterhout near Dalton, Pa. The aged mother of Mr. Osterhout, who was present at this happy gathering, is the only one now living of the 12 children of Stephen Barnum, Esq., who cleared up and over fifty years lived on the large farm now owned by R. S. Searle, of Montrose.

St. Joseph - The marriage of Mr. Vrooman Gardiner and Miss Anna Shea, of Montrose, occurred in the church here Nov. 23d, Father Lally officiating.

Clifford - The oyster supper given Thanksgiving night by the men of the Baptist church proved a surprising success, considering the rather unfavorable weather. The singing of the Clifford singing society elicited favorable comment, as did the male quartette. The pictures of Pilgrim's Progress placed on the screen by Rev. Mr. Earl and the explanations were very instructive and well received. The receipts of the evening were about $17.

Lathrop - Pearl Mackey is teaching the Lakeside school. Lena Johnson is teaching Pine Grove school. Ethel Saunders is teaching Maple Grove school. Victor Mackey is working in the jelly mill. Genevieve Mackey is attending school at Nicholson.

Auburn - Will Quick did his chores one night recently and five minutes later he found his barn on fire. He was fortunate in saving all his stock except two pigs, and all his hay, grain and farm tools went down in ashes. It was insured, yet a big loss. He had no lantern with him in the barn. AND The recent blizzard did much destruction. Am sorry to say that not one telephone pole from Elk Lake to Auburn Corners was found standing on Monday after the blow.

Little Meadows - E. Hartigan and Miss Lauretta Butler attended the dance at Riley's, at Flynn, also Michael Crimmins and T. Creagh attended.

Hop Bottom - By accepting an open date, the people of HopBottom and vicinity will receive a treat of a high order on Dec. 16, when a man of high standing in his line--High by name--Mr. Fred High, humorist, vocalist, ventriloquist, impersonator and dramatic entertainer, will give an evening's entertainment at Tennant's hall. This event will be one bubbling over with fun. "How is that for High?" For benefit of the graded school.

New Milford - Bullard's band and orchestra will give one of their fine concerts in the opera house, Dec. 15.

Honesdale - An accident occurred about noon Tuesday by which Samuel Stone, of Elk Lake, met his death and Lloyd Harding, of Eaton Twp., near Tunkhannock, was painfully cut and bruised. The men were at work on the State bridge in course of construction over the Lackawaxen, being 30 ft. above the river, when the foreman, supposing all was safe, started hauling up an iron girder by means of an engine. The bridge was heavily loaded with the iron sills and trusses, and the temporary structure on which the men were working was precipitated into the river. Stone fell among the iron and timbers. He was carried to Kroll's blacksmith shop and from there he was taken to the National Hotel on a cot, where he died about 5 hours later. Mr. Stone was but 19 years of age and was well known in Montrose, having resided with his grandfather, the late Appolas Stone, on Cherry Street, a number of years ago.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page