top of page

April 28 1911/2011

Montrose - April 23 marked the 45th anniversary of the founding of the Eagle Drug Store and it has the distinction of being the second oldest drug store in Pennsylvania which has been continuously conducted by the same family. A. B. Burns, the founder, who established the business April 23, 1866, was for seven years secretary of the State Pharmaceutical Board. His son, Geo. C. Burns, has ably conducted the business since his death, and has made many improvements. It continues to hold its own with the progress of the age, and the outlook is most favorable for a continued season of prosperity for 45 years and more to come. [Geo. C. Burns ran the store until his death in 1932. His daughter, Helen, then took over the store until it closed in 1981. Helen died in 1983. She was one of 20 women in a student body of 400 at the Philadelphia Pharmaceutical College, graduating in 1919. Her grandfather, Andrew, drove a pharmaceutical wagon at the battle of Antietam during the Civil War. Her father, George, ran the pharmacy in addition to serving as Montrose Postmaster.]

Lenox - While Joe Sinsepaugh was plowing up an old pasture he unearthed twenty-three black snakes. He killed twenty-two out of the number. They measured in length from four to five feet each.

Hallstead - On Friday morning about 10 o'clock, Bert Decker, an employee at the chair factory, met with a painful accident while at work on the band saw. While sawing out a piece of lumber a large sliver of wood was accidentally thrust into the fleshy portion of his hand by the action of the machine. One of his fellow workmen went to his assistance and tried to help him get the sliver out, and while so doing Mr. Decker fainted with the pain and before they could catch him he had fallen to the floor and struck his head on the edge of the machine, cutting a deep gash in the back of his head. After recovering from his fainting turn, he went to a physician's office where he had the injuries attended to.

Burnwood - Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Foster, of Michigan, are visiting his brothers, A. L. and E. R. Foster. This is the first time the brothers have met in forty-seven years.

Bridgewater Twp. - While Mr. and Mrs. Barry Searle and little son, William, were driving near Harrington's Mill, Tuesday afternoon, they experienced what might have proven a terrible accident and to say the least they had a fortunate escape. They were passing the mill at just 6 o'clock when the whistle blew, frightening the horses. The wagon overturned, throwing the occupants out, at the turn leading to the creamery, and Mr. Searle was dragged as far as T. W. Tinker's store. As the whistle stopped blowing the team became manageable. Mrs. Searle was the most injured of the family, suffering a broken ankle and Mr. Searle had an ankle sprained, while the little son luckily escaped with only a few bruises. It has been suggested to us that in blowing the whistles it might save some accidents if a slight sound might be given to notify the passers by with young horses to be on their guard. ALSO Guy Lewis, of Protection, Kansas, is spending some time at Williams' Pond, visiting family.

Harford - The cannon on our town green should be remounted and then set with spikes to keep the small boy from using it for a hobby horse.

Great Bend - J. N. Sackett caught a 4-pound shad in the river last week. This specie of fish has for years been almost extinct so near the headwaters of the Susquehanna.

Susquehanna - Joseph Mulqueen, of Susquehanna, employed in the D & H blacksmith shop in Carbondale, had his leg badly fractured by a heavy piece of machinery falling on it last Friday. He was taken to the Emergency Hospital and amputation of the limb is feared necessary.

Brooklyn - Mrs. Ellen Bailey has returned home after spending the winter with her son, Amos, at Loveland, Colorado.

Dimock - W. J. Cronk has been appointed postmaster here. ALSO Frank Benninger, stone cutter at the large Chase stone quarry, has resumed work again.

Uniondale - Everitt Dimmock, a former resident of this place, died recently in New Mexico. He was a grandson of Eber Dimmock, one of the early settlers of this section.

Forest City - S. Leham is giving the town another metropolitan touch by installing a new street corn popper.

New Milford - Charles Wirth is building a blacksmith shop on his newly purchased property on Main street.

Laceyville - Game Warden W. E. Shoemaker, of Laceyville, was a visitor in Montrose Monday. Mr. Shoemaker has done effective work in the years he has been a game warden, and those inclined to infringe on the laws are frequently caught by the watchful game custodian. He has made such a name for himself that the mere mention of his presence in certain localities is sufficient to bring fear to the hearts of evil doers. There is also less disregard of the laws and his firmness in protecting game and fish has won for him considerable respect. Mr. Shoemaker is a former Montrose resident and has many friends here.

News Briefs - You can't insult a suffragette more than by telling her that she is no gentleman. ALSO The maple syrup harvest has been the richest in several years. Hundreds of gallons taken from trees in this vicinity have found ready market at $1.10 a gallon for the "first run" and $1.00 for the "second run." ALSO The cold, late spring has greatly retarded farmers with their work. Last year a great many farmers had their oats sowed in March, but at this time, the last of April, very few have sown any oats and very little plowing or other work has been done. ALSO All over the country they are taking up the matter of not delivering mail on Sundays. It is a sensible idea. There is no use of a Sunday mail delivery, except in very rare instances, as all business of importance can be transacted by telegraph or telephone and the amount of mail delivered on Sundays is never large. Sunday is intended just as much for a day of rest for the tired postal employee as for any other citizen, and they doubtless need the benefits to be derived from attending church services

Correction - In the Hallstead article of April 14th, 2011, the Herbeck-Demmer Cut Glass factory should have been spelled, Herbeck-Demer.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page