top of page

April 24 1914/2014

Hallstead – The women folks who are being terrorized by a “Jack the Hugger” are so apprehensive that they are afraid to venture forth at night, are going to make a determined effort for better police protection. A few evenings ago a lady residing on Fourth street, on the West Side, went to make a call on another friend on Dayton avenue and was walking along Lackawanna avenue near the coal chutes—one of the poorly lighted streets in town. She had reached the darkest part of the street when, without warning, a poorly dressed man swung himself down from the branches of a tree and seized her. When she screamed for help he attempted to choke her. A big watch dog, belonging to Mr. Vogel, who lives on the same street, heard her screams and started toward them, and fearing that help was at hand, the miscreant ran toward the railroad tracks and made his escape. She was pretty roughly handled, and only for the appearance of the dog might have fared worse.

Harford – The funeral of Miss Jennie Shannon, formerly of Harford, but whose death occurred in St. Louis, Mo., was held at the home of her father, Wm. Shannon, in this village, Sunday, Rev. Webster officiating. The funeral was largely attended, friends being present from Rochester, Binghamton and Harford. The casket was covered with beautiful flowers, the gifts of friends. Burial in the village cemetery beside her mother.

Glenwood – Wedding bells have been ringing. Lillian McAloon of this place and Bruce Belcher, of South Gibson, were married in Scranton recently. Congratulations.

Great Bend – The work on the good roads is progressing as rapidly as possible and if the weather conditions remain favorable, Contractor Gill hopes to have the work finished about July 1st. The road in Great Bend township will extend from Main Street, this borough, to the foot of Hasbrook Hill.

Uniondale – Our morning train south was discontinued the 15th inst. We think if the O.&W. R.R. would put [a] morning train on, the Erie would replace train at once.  See? The old reliable think the railroad will get a raise in freight rates by so doing. The snow is about gone and raised the water.  They will need more money to pay dividends.

Jackson – Mrs. G. A. Bell, of New Milford, will be at the Central Hotel Tuesday and Wednesday, April 28, 29 with a full line of millinery goods.

Forest Lake – Our old friend, Jefferson Green, was in Montrose Saturday and called to renew for the Democrat, to which he has been a subscriber 54 years. Mr. Green, who has been a sufferer with rheumatism for many years, says he is feeling pretty good these spring days.

Little Meadows – A good many of our young folks attended the dance in Friendsville Easter Monday night [and] also a dance at McCahill’s, in Choconut, the past Friday night.  All report a large crowd.

Hop Bottom – The last basket ball game of the season was played in Masonic hall, Saturday afternoon, between [the] Camp Fire Girls, of Factoryville, and Foster [Hop Bottom] girls. The score was 18-10 in favor of Foster.

S. Auburn – Two more of our popular young people have embarked on the sea of matrimony. Ruth Love and Arthur Grow were married in Buffalo, April 14, and have commenced housekeeping in Rochester. Mr. Grow has the position vacated by his brother, Archie Grow, who came home on account of poor health.

Forest City – Thomas H. O’Neill, one of our oldest residents, states that 57 years ago, yesterday, he started near Pleasant Mount, early in the morning to go a distance of nearly two miles and it made a day’s journey. Snow was four feet deep on the level. It snowed for three days but it did not drift. ALSO  William Pertoski, a member of the 29th Regiment U. S. army, stationed at Fort Porter, NY, left yesterday to rejoin his regiment after a furlough of four days, spent with his parents here.  The young man is anxious to go to the front and expects an early call to move to the Mexican border if not in action.

Susquehanna – Oscar Donaldson, teller in the City National Bank, was married Monday evening to Miss Flora Bronson, at the M. E. church in Lanesboro. They left on a wedding trip which will include New York and Washington.

Herrick Center – The closing exercises of the primary and grammar rooms of our school were held in the school auditorium, Thursday afternoon, April 9. A two-hour program of music, recitations, exercises and drills was rendered in a manner which reflected great credit on the teachers in charge.  The High School will have another month and next year the whole school will have eight months.  Our school is an institution of which every citizen should be proud. We have one of the best buildings in the county outside of Montrose, Susquehanna and Forest City. It contains a well-equipped library and laboratory, a large auditorium with stage and drop curtain, besides ample room in the basement for holding socials and for play room in stormy weather. We are very fortunate in retaining, for several years, a very efficient corps of teachers, under whose administration the standard of the school has steadily risen.

Clifford – O. T. Rounds, a superintendent of state highways, states his approval of Gov. Glynn’s edict to build state roads of brick.  The theory is that although costing more at the start they will save in upkeep. Mr. Rounds believes they must have a concrete base to give the best service, however, and cites Carbondale’s experience with brick pavements where the concrete base was lacking. The street soon had a wavy appearance and was very unsatisfactory, having to be relaid. It pays to build them well.

Montrose – The small building owned by Lake, Roe & Co., used for housing their scales at the L. & M. Stock Yards, burned to the ground Tuesday night around nine o’clock. A car of stock had been loaded that afternoon, the men leaving at about five o’clock. The cause of the fire is not known. When discovered by neighbors the entire building was enveloped in flames and the roof nearly at the point of falling in.

News Brief: News was received on Wednesday that Harold Stark, an officer in the U. S. navy, has been ordered to Mexican waters on the battleship Massachusetts, leaving Hampton Roads, Wednesday afternoon. Mr. Stark is a son of Mrs. B. F. Stark, of Wilkes-Barre, and has relatives and friends in this vicinity.  (Harold R. Stark was chief of Naval Operations (1939-1942) during WW II. He was the son of Benjamin F. Stark, Wilkes-Barre, and Mary F. Warner Stark, formerly of Montrose).

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page