Great Bend – The Lackawanna Railroad Co. commenced proceedings last fall before the Public Service Commission for a certificate of public convenience in abolishing what is known as “The McKinney Crossing” and Barringer Crossing” in the township and to vacate the lower road of the Cochecton and Great Bend Turnpike. The change of the road necessitated the closing of the old McKinney Crossing and Barringer Crossing and required all those living on the Northeasterly side of the railroad to make a detour of about a mile and a half in going to New Milford or Montrose. It also made a dead end of the road and changed the State Highway for little over a mile, putting back on to the township the burden of maintaining that part of the road abandoned which is now maintained by the State. C.R. McKinney and his family have operated a water power grist mill along a part of the road to be vacated for upwards of 75 years. Mr. McKinney established before the Commission that his mill would be located at the dead end of the road and the business of the mill would be practically ruined as the public travel would be diverted to the new road. The case was hotly contested by the land owners, at Harrisburg, and a special meeting of the Commission was held at Scranton. It has also been the source of a great deal of litigation in the county courts. Yesterday the commission at Scranton rendered their decision in relation to the road. They awarded the Railroad company a certificate of convenience authorizing them to abolish the McKinney and Barringer Crossings and to vacate that portion of the Cochecton and Great Bend Turnpike, the company to build and maintain a new road and an overhead bridge crossing at the expense of $80,000. They awarded C.R. McKinney $4500 damage and they also agreed to maintain that part of the road that was thrown back on the township for all time and gave substantial damages to the other land owners. This is the first substantial verdict obtained before the Public Service Commission in proceedings of this character.
Fiddle Lake – Archibald Foster, aged 78 years, was drowned in the lake Saturday forenoon. He came from the home of his son Charles, at West Herrick, and was on his way to the home of his daughter, Mrs. Marvin Sampson, of Burnwood. He attempted to cross the lake on the ice and had nearly reached the opposite shore, when the ice broke and he fell in. His cries for help brought Kleber Shaver and Samuel Entrot to his assistance, but too late. They recovered the body in about 6 feet of water.
Susquehanna – Evangelist E.G. Crabill closed his campaign here on Wednesday evening, when there was a record audience. Mr. Crabill has nearly a thousand converts as a result of his efforts. The people of Susquehanna gave him a free will offering amounting to about $1,500. ALSO John Burns, a native of Susquehanna, while fighting with the Allies in Europe, was killed in battle. Dr. Ahern, also of this place, returned from the seat of war in Serbia, where he went several months ago with an expedition of volunteer physicians and nurses from the American Red Cross Association. He has been through many exciting experiences during his absence.
Brooklyn – Brooklyn has been “dry” for forty-two years, not because the court would not grant a license, but because the late I.O. Bullard, who bought its hotel in 1855 and kept a licensed hotel until 1872, saw the ill effects and would not petition for one, and his daughter and her husband, Mr. and Mrs. L. Tewksbury, who inherited the property, would not ask for one. During the past 42 years it has been demonstrated here in Brooklyn that good accommodation can be furnished to the public without the use of that which at last “biteth like a serpent and stingeth like an adder.”
Lackawanna Cutoff – Plans for stations to be erected along the route of the Lackawanna cutoff, between Clark’s Summit and Hallstead, are now being prepared by Engineer F.L. Wheaton. No definite announcement has been made by the company as to the exact location of the new stations, except that one will be built at Factoryville. It is expected that the buildings will be of concrete.
Montrose – Wednesday of this week marked the 70th Anniversary of Dr. C.C. Halsey’s arrival in Montrose to act as principal of the old [Montrose] Academy. The doctor, who has passed his 92d birthday, is gaining in strength and with the balmy days of spring we trust he may be able to be out again. ALSO It is safe to say that Montrose has more dogs in proportion to its population than Constantinople. The other morning we counted nine dogs of various breeds in front of Gamble’s store, and Sunday morning there was a free-for-all fight on Church street, in which five or six canines took part, making the early morning hideous with the howls. “Auf weidersehn!” with half of them.
Jackson – Prof. O. E. French, a former instructor in the schools of Susquehanna county, and a native of Jackson, died recently at his home in Creston, Iowa. He was for five years superintendent of schools in this county. In 1883 he went to Creston and for 23 years was superintendent of that city’s schools. In 1908 he took a professorship at Des Moines, which he held for three years and following that time, until his death, he was chief clerk in the office of the State superintendent of schools. His wife, one daughter and two sons survive.
Clifford – On March 31, 1915 occurred the death of John Bolton, a lifelong resident of the township. Mr. Bolton had lived 18 years above the allotted three score years and ten, ending his years upon the farm where he spent his whole life. He was a man of more than ordinary ability. His wise counsel was always sought on matters of importance in the township and church work, of which he was a consistent member and worker. His unassuming manner and modesty endeared him to all who knew him and his long and useful life will be greatly missed. Mr. Bolton was the last of the Bolton family, who were pioneers in the settlement of Clifford township. Like the sturdy oak he grew and spread his influence over a large territory and the power he used for good will be felt for generations in the betterment of mankind and for the general uplift of the community. He leaves a faithful wife and large circle of friends to mourn his loss.
Uniondale – Grand Opening of the Uniondale Temperance House, H.J. Orce, Prop., will be Saturday evening, April 17 for supper. Fifty cents the plate. Uniondale symphony orchestra will furnish music for the same. All are invited to attend.
Forest City – Three young boys, who stated that they were from this place, recently entered J.W. White’s sugar bush, in Uniondale, and began pulling spiles, battering pails and emptying their contents, while Mr. White’s boys begged them to desist. Angered, the boys pulled out revolvers and proceeded to shoot. One of the White boys ran to a wall and narrowly escaped being shot in so doing.
Bridgewater Twp. – One thrifty teamster is said to have pulled seven autos out of the mud near Montrose, one day recently, at one dollar per. One autoist informs us he paid two plunks for getting the favor of a pull out.
Correction – It now appears that there is no truth in the story widely copied that the body of Geo. W. Arnts, of Co. K, 143d Pennsylvania Volunteers, who is believed to have been killed in the battle of Gettysburg, had been found under a barn in the battlefield. C.J. Arnts, of Meshoppen, wrote to the superintendent of the National Cemetery at Gettysburg, thinking the report true, but was informed that no such body had been found.