March 12 1915
Hallstead – The second time we have been visited by a disastrous fire on Main Street, in a little over a month, occurred on Monday evening, when Carl S. Tingley, the grocer, who has living rooms above his store, was awakened by the devouring flames. He found a brisk fire behind one of the counters near where matches were stored. Seizing a fire extinguisher he partly put out the fire, but before sufficient water could be brought, the flames were beyond control. The fire company was soon on the scene and managed to confine the flames to the building and while none of the contents of the store were saved, part of the household effects were removed, although badly damaged by fire and water. It is thought that the fire was started by rats or mice gnawing into matches. A peculiar feature of the fire was that in a former fire where H.J. Brown’s grocery store was destroyed, Mr. Tingley generously opened his store and filled Mr. Brown’s grocery orders. Now, by turn of events, H.J. Brown is kindly filling the grocery orders in return for C.S. Tingley. A restaurant building owned by Mr. Brown, adjoining Tingley’s store, was at several times in great danger from the flames and was somewhat damaged.
Clifford – Our creamery and skimming stations are now running three days of the week, except West Clifford, which will not start until about the first of April. It has been idle all winter.
Rush/Jessup – Wm. H. LaRue, of Rush, and Aria I. Oaks, of Jessup Twp., have applied for a marriage license.
Jackson – Several of the pupils of the Jackson School still remain on the sick list. Some have dropped their names from the roll on account of being so far behind the class with their work.
Brooklyn – Brooklyn, since 1910, has been enjoying the finest telephone service of any little village in the state. Both the Commonwealth and Merchants Telephone Companies have been operating exchanges and furnishing day and night service for their patrons. On March 1 the Commonwealth Company issued a circular letter to their subscribers increasing their rate of service from $12 to $15 dollars per year. On the face of the letter it looked like an increase of 25 per cent, but when it was noted that 25 cents for service on points between Clarks Summit and Towanda per month was granted and also the 5 cent toll between Brooklyn and Montrose was abolished and free service given to the County Seat, it was accepted by many of the subscribers as a concession to this town and with free service to Montrose, this town is placed in a very fortunate position as to telephone service.
Little Meadows – Michael Butler is busy sawing shingles for the neighbors. AND James Clare had the misfortune to break his automobile last week, while visiting friends in Warren, Pa. Hard luck, Jim.
Dimock – After a short delay on account of bad weather the large Winans’ stone quarry has again commenced work, where they are getting out a large amount of fine stones, which will be dressed and cut and later shipped to the Valley for walks, steps and cellar flagging. ALSO Lester Gregory is preparing to build a new dwelling house on his lot near the cemetery, recently purchased of J.F. Dolan.
South Auburn – Most of the people in this vicinity expect to have their telephones removed the first of April on account of the increased rental rates. ALSO Mr. and Mrs. G.B. Crawford were married 55 years ago, March 4th, 1860, in S. Auburn and on Saturday, March 6th, they celebrated their golden anniversary, surrounded by their children who were able to be there, also two of their grandchildren and one great-grandchild. The children present were Miss Ella Crawford at home; Leo Bolles and wife, of Beech grove; Wilson Robbins and wife, of Wyalusing; and N.G. Crawford and wife. The grandchildren were Harl Crawford and wife, of Shannon Hill; and Miss Vergie Crawford. The great-grandchild is Catherine Robbins. Two of their children, Mrs. Mary Applegate and Benjamin Crawford reside in California and one son, Geo. Crawford, at Elk Lake. They were presented with a purse of $6.
Gelatt – Thursday noon, while the men were in the house eating their dinner, Mr. Wilmot’s sawmill was discovered on fire, and it burned to the ground, consuming nearly everything in the mill. The wind saved the other buildings and lumber from burning. There was no insurance on the mill or contents.
Pleasant Valley, Auburn Twp. – Harry Reimel and wife expect to move to their farm on Craig Hill this week. Our best wishes go with them.
Bridgewater Twp. – Louis B. Hawley, who has been almost helpless for many months due to paralysis of the lower limbs, friends will be pleased to learn, is showing some improvement. Mr. Hawley is being treated by Dr. W.B. Van de Sand, the osteopath, and with the noticeable improvement in his general health there is a growing belief that he will eventually recover the use of his limbs.
Birchardville – Fred W. Dayton has purchased a milking machine. Mr. Dayton has a fine herd of Jerseys and is known the county over as an excellent butter maker. The new improvement is in keeping with his advanced ideas of dairying.
Susquehanna – A new Santa Fe type of locomotive is now being used on the Erie Railroad, having arrived at Susquehanna Monday evening from the Baldwin Locomotive Works. The engine and tender weighs 402,500 pounds and has ten driving wheels, besides two truck and two trailing wheels. The locomotive, including tender, is over 77 feet long, and it is one of the most powerful engines in the world. It is named W.C. Hayes, in honor of the superintendent of locomotive operations of the Erie.
Springville – Harry Gavitt has bought Homer Young’s barber shop, and good will, and takes possession April 1.
Forest City – William Pentecost, of Prompton, one of the pioneers of this section, whose lumber operations caused the first settlement of Forest City, then called Pentecost, died on Tuesday afternoon. During the severe December weather Mr. Pentecost slept with a foot uncovered and froze a great toe. An operation was performed but gangrene had set in and caused his death. Mr. Pentecost was born at Grampond, Cornwall, England, August 15, 1827. His mother died when he was a child. In his 22nd year he married Elizabeth Paul of his home town, coming to America on their wedding tour, landing in New York on July 4, 1849. On the morning of the following day they came by railroad to Narrowsburg, then by stage to Honesdale, stopping at the Jakeway house; next morning they journeyed to the John Blake farm now owned by Charles Smith, in Dyberry. Blake, a distant relative, hired William and after several years they moved to the north end of the borough of Prompton and soon branched out in the lumber business. The first large lumber contract he accepted was for the D&H Co, it being the tract of land where Forest City is now located. He erected the first buildings at this place. When his wife died he was left with a family of eight children and brought them up to be good and useful citizens. His second marriage was to Frances Bellamy. Funeral services will be from his late home in Prompton and burial in the Bethany cemetery.