July 17 1914
Flynn, Middletown Twp. – The Spinster club has lost its last member, all having got married or left the place. They will tell you it don’t pay to advertise. If something of that sort would happen to the old bachelors, wouldn’t it be grand. ALSO L.L. Curley had a bark bee on Saturday last. There was a large crowd in attendance and a first-class job was done.
Forest Lake - During the severe electric storm last Sunday afternoon the barn of Michael Sullivan was struck by a heavy bolt of lightning, which set the barn on fire. A bucket brigade quickly responded and the flames were extinguished with but little damage done. Also, at the same time, Reilly Bros., near St. Joseph, had five yearlings and a yearling colt killed by lightning.
East Kingsley – W.O. Finn, of Montrose, Nancy E. Webster, of Franklin Forks, accompanied by their half-brother, Peter Finn and Mother, of Philadelphia, called on friends in this vicinity last Thursday. The brothers and sister had not met in 43 years and they had a jolly time. ALSO Bert Loomis, son of Dr. E.N. Loomis, was discharged after thirty years’ service in the army and came to his childhood home by way of California, reaching here July 4th. He is enjoying many trips over the farm on which he was born.
Elk Lake – The marriage of J. Monroe Mosher, one of Endicott’s popular young merchants, to Miss Bertha M. Risley, of this place, occurred July 11, 1914 at the Endicott Presbyterian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Mosher spent several years as public school teachers in Susquehanna County. The wedding had been postponed on account of the death of the groom’s father. Only a few nearest friends were invited and after the wedding a luncheon was served at the groom’s home, covers being laid for ten, a vacant chair and a plate upon which rested a beautiful white rose, designating the place so recently left vacant by the father gone before.
Great Bend – A horse belonging to Robert Roosa was killed by lightning on Saturday evening. The lightning struck the barn and killed the horse in the stable. Mr. Roosa was getting ready to drive to town and had just brought the horse in from the field. ALSO John J. O’Leary, a graduate of St. Mary’s Seminary, at Emmetsburg, Md., will be ordained to the priesthood in St. Peter’s Cathedral, Scranton, by Bishop Hoban. He will celebrate his first mass in St. Lawrence Church, Great Bend, on Sunday morning, July 19.
New Milford – Contractor Gahagan, who has the contract to build the Lackawanna [Railroad] cutoff from this place to Hallstead, has his work at this place nearly completed. The job of filling some of the sink holes in Martin Creek swamp, where thousands of cubic yards of material has been dumped without any visible difference except to raise the other side of the swamp, has been given up. The new survey puts the tracks close to the old line where the ground is solid.
Forest City – Thomas Brown, a prominent merchant of Forest City, has been appointed Justice of the Peace by Governor Tener, to succeed the late John Maxey. The insurance business of the late John Maxey has been purchased by his brother, G.E. Maxey.
Meshoppen – Edward Hawke, who had his back broke in a runaway two weeks ago, died at the Packer hospital at Sayre, July 13. A wife and little children survive.
South Ararat – Mr. Reese and family and Mr. Reynolds and family, of Carbondale, have come for the summer to their cottage at Fiddle Lake. It certainly is a very beautiful body of water and a few days spent at the lake is time not to be regretted.
Springville – The quarry here, so long known as the “Chase quarry” changed hands on July 1st, it being purchased by Doherty and Winans, of Meshoppen. ALSO Mrs. William Lathrop is very ill at this writing without little hopes of her recovery. The first the family noticed was that she was acting strangely. A physician was called and all is being done that can be done. That she is suffering from some sort of brain trouble is very evident. ALSO Word from Mrs. Fred Risley says she [Mrs. Risley] is no better and there seems little hope if her recovery.
Montrose – The new asbestos composition flooring being installed in the corridors and arbitration room of the court house is attracting considerable attention. The floor is the first of its kind ever laid in Montrose. The material is composed of asbestos in combination with several dry powders and a chemical liquid. The corridors will have a base and border of red—and a center of gray, broken in panels by bands of red crossing the gray at the office entrances. The work is being done by the Woodoleum Flooring Company of Philadelphia, one of the very few companies in the business who thoroughly understand it, as misuse of the materials is disastrous. ALSO J.J. Ryan & Co. was awarded the contract for installing steam heating plants in the court house and jail. ALSO Landlord D.J. Donovan received thirteen fine horses and mules from the Stegmaier Brewing Co., Wilkes-Barre, this week, which he has placed on his farm and is offering for sale. The company is replacing many of its horses with auto trucks.
Lathrop Twp. – The funeral of Jerome B. Davison, whose death occurred June 3, 1914, was held from his home on June 5th. The casket was draped in the stars and stripes, dear to the veteran’s heart, and the members of Rogers Post, No. 143, whose ranks are fast thinning, attended in a body to pay tribute to a comrade who was ever faithful to both flag and country. Jerome B. Davison was born Oct. 24, 1829. On Dec. 1, 1858 he was married to Miss Loretta Giles and one daughter, Sadie [Marcy], was born to them. In 1862 he enlisted in Co. F, 141st Regiment, where he was wounded at Chancellorsville May 3, 1863 and later transferred to a veteran’s corps in 1864; he attained the rank of corporal. Mr. Davison was a man thoroughly upright in character, generous in disposition, and helpful in the community in which he lived. It is the testimony of those who knew him that he served his day and generation well.
South Gibson – Frank F. Resseguie stated that he had just received a nice check in payment of his prize won during the winter in a seven days’ milk test conducted by the Holstein Breeders Association. Out of 5,000 cows in the contest, located in all parts of the United States, he said it made him feel pretty good to see his cow standing in sixth place.
South Montrose – The Springville team played the South Montrose team on Saturday and came off winner 26-0. The South Montrose team succeeded in getting but one man as far as first base.
The First Ever Montrose Architectural Treasure Hunt is underway and will end on August 1st during the Blueberry Festival. Brochures are available at the front desk of the main library, in Montrose, or at the Historical Society. Lots of fun and great prizes.