June 19 1914
Heart Lake – Heart Lake is on the boom with five new cottages going up this summer. The electric light line passing through this section and the prospects of the trolley coming this way surely will increase the value of real estate.
Forest Lake – Hugh Booth and family, of Nebraska, are visiting relatives here.
Springville – The store of Brown and Reynolds was broken into Sunday night, entrance having been gained by prying open a rear window. Several pairs of shoes were taken but it is not known if anything else was stolen. They were evidently frightened away by hearing Mrs. Diller, who had heard them, calling someone on the phone.
Laceyville – On account of no intoxicating liquor being sold in Laceyville, it is thought that many families will go there to celebrate the Fourth. Parents with growing children appreciate a dry town.
West Auburn – Contractor Gill is now putting on the telford on the new State road down the Tuscarora creek. When the road is completed it will make the farms of this section of the county very much more desirable. And, by the way, we know of several farmers who are about ready to retire to the villages to spend the balance of their days. There should be a movement to get their places filled by bright, enterprising young farmers with families.
Montrose – Att. George P. Little, one of the oldest members of the Susquehanna County bar, who has been ill the past few days at his home on Chenango street, passed away last night. His death shocked he community, he being very highly respected and for many years a deacon in the Baptist church. His father was the late Ralph B. Little, also a lawyer. The deceased was born in Montrose in 1842 and was admitted to practice in the county courts in 1863. Ralph B. Little is his son and our present judge. Mrs. Little died less than a year ago. Mr. Little continued to practice up to within a few days of his death. ALSO A 55 ft. vestibule car has been put on the Montrose branch of the Lehigh Valley [Railroad] to accommodate the rush of summer travel. This is the first vestibule car to be run regularly upon the branch and is pretty tony stuff.
Great Bend – Miss Lola Mahoney, age 18, had an exciting experience with burglars at her boarding place, in the Newman block, which she will remember all her life. Two burglars entered her room through an open window by using a ladder and in rummaging through the bureau drawers awoke her. She sat up in bed and started to call for Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Miller, with whom she boarded, when the robbers choked her and threatened death if she screamed. Then gagging her and striking her over the head with some instrument until she was unconscious, they carried her to the window and evidently lowered her as far as they could reach, and dropped the inert body to the ground. She was not found until morning, lying unconscious in her night clothing, in the yard. She will recover. The burglars secured about $8 in money and two gold rings. The guilty parties have not been caught but the State Constabulary is working on the case.
Susquehanna – The parishioners of St. John’s church have presented their pastor, Rev. Fr. Patrick F. Brodrick, with a new 5-passenger Buick car.
Harford Twp. – The editor of the Independent Republican, Montrose, is reminded of the following: “In reading of the re-election of Geo. A. Stearns to the office of county superintendent of schools, of Susquehanna county, he notes that Stearns is from Harford township, as was the first county superintendent, Willard Richardson, in 1854. Prof. Richardson’s salary was $350 a year, and the opposition to the new office was great. Some really thought the office unnecessary and the trifling sum really wasted. One person even declared he thought better to spend the sum for candy and divide equally among the scholars of the county, giving each one-half a stick.”
Clifford – Prof. and Mrs. G.R. Bennett arrived home for the summer vacation from his school in Chicago. They made the trip from Thompson in a new Metz auto. ALSO W.J. Bennett, a merchant here, is in the State hospital at Scranton with a dislocated wrist, and Miss Cathrine O’Connor, of Dickson, is nursing a cut on her head as a result of an auto collision, in Scranton, yesterday. With Bennett in his car were his wife and his father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Bennett. The younger Mrs. Bennett was hurled 12 feet and landed heavily on the pavement but she seemed practically uninjured. The other couple suffered only from fright. The crash was caused by another auto darting out in Mr. Bennett’s path.
Glenwood/Lenoxville – The Lenoxville boys and the Glenwood boys had quite a lively game of ball the first of the week. The game was in favor of the Lenoxville team; now then, Glenwood, get busy and trim them proper next week.
Liberty – Burlington Allard made a business trip to Hallstead, Monday, and on his return home killed a big rattle snake that measured 45 inches long and had 23 rattles and a button on it.
Forest City – Forest City is to have one of the most beautiful and modern school buildings in this section of the State. The building will be of brick, two stories high and will contain nine rooms and a gymnasium in the basement. It will measure 107 by 103 feet and will be modern in every detail. The gymnasium will measure 53 by 60 feet. The estimated cost of the building is $30,000.
Brooklyn - W.C. Rockwell, aged 81, died at his home at Nicholson, June 10, 1914, following a lingering illness. He was born in Brooklyn on Aug. 21, 1833. When the Civil War broke out he was one of the first volunteers and joined a company organized at Montrose. Upon the arrival of the company, at Washington, he was made a member of Company D, Fiftieth regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. He took an active part in the battles of Spotsylvania and Cold Harbor and was wounded in the battle of Four Oaks. He also took part in the sieges of Vicksburg and Richmond. At the end of the war he returned to his home in Lathrop Township, where despite his age, he engaged in farming until a few years ago, when he returned and moved to Nicholson. Mr. Rockwell was a direct descendant of Rev. William Rockwell, who was a Baptist minister and came to this country with a colony of 140 persons of the ships Mary and John in the year of 1630. His grandfather, whose name was William Rockwell, came to this state in the year 1736 and founded, with other colonists, what is now the township of Brooklyn.