Search
  • webmaster045

November 13 1908

Silver Lake - The death of Edward W. Rose, one of the best-known and oldest residents of Silver Lake, occurred at his home in that place on Monday, Nov. 9th. His death came as a peaceful termination to a long, well spent life. He was born in Silver Lake Twp. in June 1821, to Dr. Robert H. and Jane (Hodge) Rose and was the last survivor of a family of seven children--three sons and four daughters. He was born and grew to manhood on the beautiful Rose estate, which his father, a man of more than ordinary strength of character and educational attainments, had claimed from the wilderness. Edward married Miss Marian Simpson, a native of Scotland, whose parents, John H. and Agnes Simpson, came from Scotland and settled at Silver Lake when she was a child. To Edward and Marian were born five children. His son, Robert, cared for his father in his home in Binghamton during the latter years of his life, but his heart always longed for the scenes of his younger years and where he spent the most of his life.


Birchardville - Jim Perkins stole three bags of grain from Fred Dayton one night recently. The grain was stored in Tom Wescott's barn, on the Quick place, and Mr. Wescott was informed by night hunters that there was a light in his barn. On arriving at the barn Mr. Wescott saw Perkins but kept himself secluded. Perkins loaded the grain and drove away. Wescott informed Dayton and they easily tracked him on the Wyalusing creek road, overhauling him at Rushville. Without a warrant, Wescott showed Perkins the muzzle of a revolver and ordered him to turn about and return the grain to the barn. When near Lawton, Perkins jumped from his wagon and ran down the bank, and hasn't been seen since.


Hallstead - A most distressing accident occurred when Henry Doherty, Jr. was struck by a Lackawanna train and instantly killed. After leaving school Henry, with a companion, Willie Russell, started down the tracks to the slaughter house, just west of the silk mill. Engineer Eugene Swartz, saw the boys and blew the whistle, but they did not seem to hear it. The Engineer endeavored to get his heavy train under control, but as they were running at a high rate of speed it was impossible to stop the train in time. Young Russell looked around, saw the train coming and shouted to his companion to jump, at the same time clearing the track at a single bound. The Doherty boy was struck with terrific force and thrown about 100 feet.


Jackson - There will be a meeting of the Jackson Library Association at the Central Hotel on Tuesday evening, Nov. 17. Every one interested in keeping up a library in this place is invited to attend.


Lawton/Flynn - The location of the Rush church that has been in dispute for some time is finally decided, to remain on the old site, after a thorough investigation of the reasons pro and con made by the Bishop of Scranton. Several reasons were advanced by the people of Flynn why a church established 50 years should be taken away from the graves of the dead founders, and the majority of 28, and builtin sight of the Friendsville church. It finally became a question of the majority and it was for the old site. What work that can be done this winter will probably be begun at once, and as soon as spring opens it will be pushed to completion. There has been $2100 raised already and more in sight.


Little Meadows - Mrs. Lawrence Hickey, aged 80 years, died Nov. 6, at the home of her son, Michael Hickey. She is survived by three sons, John of Choconut, Michael of Little Meadows, and James of Warren, Pa, and one daughter, Mrs. Michael Kiley, of Little Meadows. The funeral was held from St. Thomas church in Little Meadows.


Montrose - Jeweler F.B. Smith and Frank Caruso, the well-known shoemaker, are making arrangements to move from their present quarters to the store lately occupied by D.V. Gardner. The large room will be divided, improvements made and occupied by them jointly.


Thompson - Willie Walker has quit the railroad and has taken charge of his father's shoe store on Jackson street. He is a reliable fellow and deserves success in his new business.


Lenox - In court this week "Yorky" Johnson and William Wandall, the robbers who tortured Edwin Hartley at his home near Glenwood, in an attempt to extort money from him, surprised many by pleading guilty to the charges brought against them. Sheriff Pritchard, in a conversation, attributed the action of these men as a direct result of the meetings held bi-weekly in the jail, at which divine principals have been expounded to the inmates. Other results have been noticed and the sheriff is quite loud in his praise of those who have been conducting them, Rev. Mr. Solani and E.D. Bronson.


New Milford - Citizens of New Milford turned out in great numbers and celebrated the election of the genial Colonel Pratt to congress. 400 men pulled the Congressman-elect, of the Fourteenth Pennsylvania district, in a carriage to the Opera House. Speeches, handclasps, refreshments and a bonfire made a jolly good time.


Herrick - Herrick Center derived its name many years ago from a resident whose name was Herrick--a man quite prominent in affairs and whose body, it is said, was interred back of where the high school building now stands. Center derived its name from its location in the center of the township. About 20 years ago the Erie Railroad company extended its tracks through Herrick Center from Carbondale to Susquehanna. Later the N.Y.O. & W. extended its road through the small town, about a mile from the Erie. A large tannery was built about the time the Erie Railroad was built, and being along the small creek flowing through the town, was run by the aid of its water. About 12 years ago it caught fire in a very mysterious manner and was burned to the ground. Because of its not being rebuilt, many of the employees moved away, but the tannery residences were left, only to gradually fall to decay. The post office was first started in Truman and Henry Dunn's jewelry store below the railroad, near what is now Flynn's hotel, but which was then a boarding house; from there it moved into A.D. Barnes' store, and from there it was moved into a post office building with R. M. Tingley as postmaster. This building burned to the ground one night and soon the building now standing was built with Mr. Tingley still filling the office of postmaster. Before the Herrick Center post office was started, the nearest one was in Uniondale. The first sessions of school were held in a little building just above the corner near the blacksmith shop, with one of Herrick's (now) prominent citizens as pedagogue. Later, as the township increased in population and wealth, there was much disapproval in this mode of education, so by centralizing the numerous schools in the township, a magnificent school building was built on ground given for that purpose by Dr. A.L. Craft and Hon. C.I. Baker. This was transformed into a high school when it opened. It now stands as an example for surrounding high schools.

Recent Posts

See All

January 02 1920

Montrose – Seven prisoners escaped from County Jail early Christmas night. They managed to affect their escape and all but one, the youngest, were recaptured. Chance led the last man to get through th

December 26 1919

Susquehanna – Daniel Smith, of Lanesboro, a switchman in the Susquehanna Railroad yards, was instantly killed by passenger train No. 5, Dec. 20, 1919. He had been in the switchmen’s shanty getting war

December 19 1919

Herrick Twp. – Gardner Lee, son of Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel G. Lee, near Tirzah, accidentally shot himself and passed away almost instantly. He had been out hunting and came to the school house at Dart’