Search
  • webmaster045

November 30 1906

Hallstead - A new rural free delivery route is soon to be opened which will go via Tingley and Hallstead, having its starting place from Hallstead. It was secured thru the efforts of Postmaster Simrell of Hallstead, and will give daily mail service to about 110 families. AND One of the most progressive and up-to-date stores in the county is The People's Store, which, under the pushing and liberal management of its popular proprietor, V. D. Hand, has made a wonderful growth.


West Auburn/St. Charles, Mo. - Married in St. Charles, Mo., Nov. 14, 1906, by Rev. Robert W. Ely, Henry S. Bolles and Miss Ella F. Townsend, both of St. Louis. The groom is the eldest son of Geo. W. and Lucetta L. Bolles of West Auburn, while the bride is the eldest daughter of Mrs. Ellen F. and the late Capt. Geo. E. Townsend, a veteran Mississippi river steamboatman. They immediately began housekeeping in their new home in Edgewood Park, a suburb of St. Louis.


Montrose - An article about a band concert a half-century ago leads some of our younger readers to ask where "Bloomer Hall" was and why so called. Well, the building now occupied by Billings & Co. originally extended clear thru from Public avenue to Chestnut street and was owned by the late B.R. Lyons, who fitted up two-thirds of the upper story as a place for entertainments. About that time Mrs. Bloomer was advocating dress reform and the papers were filled with articles for or against the short skirt for women, with pantalettes brought close around the ankle. Altho the idea was adopted only to a limited extent, the widespread discussion led Mr. Lyons, who was in favor of the reform, to fix upon "Bloomer" as the name for his hall.


Forest City - A Carbondale correspondent writes interestingly of the passing away of Richmondale, a little hamlet a few miles from Forest City, as follows: "Richmondale is practically no more. Last week a force of men began to tear down the mammoth steel shaft that for years was a distinctive feature of the little mining hamlet. The iron work of the tower has been sold to J.E. White, of New York, a fact that blasts all hope of a resumption of operations at the colliery. The heavy stone foundations of the tower are being torn away and it is expected that on Tuesday everything will be in readiness for hurling the huge steel structure to the ground when it will be broken apart and used as junk. Richmondale was named for Wm. H. Richmond, who was at the head of the company that erected the Richmondale colliery, and established the little mining hamlet upwards of twenty years ago."


Springville - The firm of Avery & McMicken has dissolved, Mr. McMicken retiring. Mr. Avery will continue the business and has secured the services of W.R. Meserole as clerk, and ordered a new sign. AND Lott Brothers, E.W. Lott senior member, has extensive quarries at both Springville and South Montrose and gets out stone of a superior quality, which finds a ready sale in the city market. They employ several men.


New Milford - Miss Jane Boyle has resigned her position as librarian at the Pratt public library. She is succeeded by Miss Elizabeth Shelp. AND Word has been received from Havana, Cuba, saying that Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Huntley and two sons, who left here Nov. 8, have arrived in that port safely.


Rush - The friends of Mrs. A. Canfield made her a wood bee. She is worthy of any help she may receive from her neighbors, so let the good work go on. AND Sometime since the First National Bank became convinced that some of the notes put in the bank by W.E. Harvey, of Rush, contained forged names as endorsers and prepared for his arrest. An execution was also taken out and Sheriff Pritchard went down to make a levy on the personal property and about the same time Constables Chapman and Perigo went down to arrest Harvey, and all got there about the same time. The sheriff read his legal paper to Harvey, standing beside the road, while the constables stood near, expecting to make the arrest as soon as the Sheriff had finished his business, but about that minute Harvey jumped and ran into the bushes, without so much as saying good night. Constable Chapman fired his revolver after him three times, but without effect, and as darkness was now coming down, Harvey made good his escape. It is reported that he afterward drove to Binghamton, where he left his horse and buggy, leaving a note in the buggy requesting the return of the horse to Lawton. There is much sympathy for Mr. Harvey's family.


Dimock - James M. Calby is an expert carpenter and has been engaged for nearly two years in erecting up-to-date barns on Mrs. Norris's farm [Woodbourne] here. As a side-line he has a nice little farm with a lot of nice cattle on it. "Jim" is all right.


Uniondale - Mrs. Frank Westgate has excited the envy of her neighbors by receiving a new set of fine china dishes, also several pieces of very nice furniture has found its way into her house.


Middletown - At last our telephone line is now going to be built. At a meeting held recently the following officers were elected: President, R.D. Owen; Sec., F.J. Conboy; Treas., Lawrence Coleman; Directors, E.T. Beaumont, J.T. Jones, and F.J. Golden. Also at the same meeting the wire and other necessary fixtures including the phones were ordered of the agent, F.P. Conboy.


Flynn - The old maids and old bachelors seem to be more than pleased on account of the telephones being in their residences, for what reason I can't say; perhaps they can talk to their lovers better at a distance. AND James Conboy is moving the old school house to his home, for an addition to his barn.


Birchardville - The co-operative creamery company have sold out to Mr. Possinger, of West Auburn; consideration, $1900.


Thompson - The election returns make Thompson the banner Prohibition district in the county.


Harford - The boys of Mrs. O.J. Maynard's class will hold a box social in the lecture room on Monday, Dec. 3. Ladies will please provide boxes with lunch for two. Boxes will be sold. AND The Creamery company had a successful barn raising on Friday. Nearly 50 men helped and these were provided with a good dinner in the lecture room.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

January 02 1920

Montrose – Seven prisoners escaped from County Jail early Christmas night. They managed to affect their escape and all but one, the youngest, were recaptured. Chance led the last man to get through th

December 26 1919

Susquehanna – Daniel Smith, of Lanesboro, a switchman in the Susquehanna Railroad yards, was instantly killed by passenger train No. 5, Dec. 20, 1919. He had been in the switchmen’s shanty getting war

December 19 1919

Herrick Twp. – Gardner Lee, son of Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel G. Lee, near Tirzah, accidentally shot himself and passed away almost instantly. He had been out hunting and came to the school house at Dart’