January 05 1906
Uniondale - The union Christmas tree held at the Presbyterian church was grand success. It showed very evidently that all the children in Uniondale are of the very best, for Santa Claus fetched so many beautiful presents to them and greeted them with such a hearty hand shake. It goes to show that it pays to be good.
And then those two ladies who sang a hymn and the young ladies dressed in white acting off the piece was very nice, and the other little girls and boys did so nicely with their pieces, and then little Master Johnson brought the house down with hand clapping with his master speech. It would be well enough to say that this little fellow lives in Scranton and is grandson of H.H. Lewis, of Uniondale.
Great Bend – The section of history written on Great Bend by Jasper T. Jennings, in his Geography and History of Susquehanna County, relates that in 1787 Ozias Strong built the first log cabin and made the first clearing near the present river bridge between Great Bend and Hallstead. He was probably the first actual settler in the County, though other settlers came about the same time to Lanesboro and Brooklyn.
Binghamton was also settled the same year. This was only 9 years after the memorable Wyoming massacre, and many traces of the Indians were seen in different localities. The Tuscarora Indians inhabited Susquehanna county, and the Delawares the region about Deposit and along the Delaware river.
Apple trees were found growing at Great Bend, Lanesboro, and a considerable orchard at the Windsor flats a few miles up the river in New York State. Flint arrowheads and stone sinkers, used by the Indians in fleeing were found in considerable number along the river at Great Bend and an Indian burying ground was found here.
Years afterward a stone pestle with a beautifully carved head of a squirrel upon it was found in Bridgewater.
Susquehanna – Mr. Jennings related that the first hotel in Susquehanna was built by Elliot Benson and it was called the Harmony House. The first stores were opened by James M. Ward, Smith & McKune, L.S. Page, and James Bell. The first Erie passenger train passed through on its way to Binghamton in 1848.
The first school, the old Pine Tree School House, was built in 1850, near the present Methodist Church. The most serious event recorded in the history of Susquehanna is probably the great strike of 1874. Locomotives were taken from trains and all business stopped. Troops were called out and though war was threatened, the trouble was finally settled.
Oakland – Maud Haynes, the missing Oakland girl, is still unfound. It is now thought she is dead.
Ararat – Thieves are still at work notwithstanding the fact that a few suspicious characters are at present rusticating at Hotel Brush, in Montrose. There seems to be a remnant left, however, to loot unguarded cellars and keep bread from spoiling.
Thieves entered the cellar of Nelson Stone last week and carried away a quantity of pork. It was all cut up, ready for salting, and it was all taken but the hams and shoulders. We presume they left those to be pickled and smoked before they take them.
Two house were searched in an effort to locate it, but without results. People who are cunning enough to be cunning, so the barren results of the search isn’t altogether reassuring.
Harford – There seems to be an increasing demand for gasoline power, and happening on a Harford street a recent day and hearing the detonations of a gasoline engine, we thought we would investigate. We found it to be a fine Fairbands Morse engine, running as regularly as a clock, and working a cutting machine at the barn of U.J. Jackson’s. Mr. Jackson has the agency, we understand, for these machines. People interested in this form of power will enjoy seeing it.