August 11 1905
Clifford - Royal Base ball boys had a very good game last Saturday with the Harrison House pets of Carbondale. Score--Carbondale 10 and Royal 7. If the dirty work of one or two Carbondale players was cut out, Royal would have won by a big score. Royal will play East Benton, at East Benton, next Saturday, Aug. 12th.
Flynn - This place has organized a ball team for the remainder of the summer. They will be heard from later.
Harford - The 50th anniversary of the wedding of Ansel J. Stearns and Ann Brewster Stearns, postponed from April 11th, was held on Wednesday of last week. A good number of Stearns, Brewster's and other relatives assembled by invitation. Prof. George A. Stearns, County Superintendent of Schools, presided. One interesting feature of the gathering was the presence of several relatives and friends who attended the wedding half a century ago. AND A good number of visitors are now in town and we are glad to hear that the Central House, the temperance hotel under the management of Mr. and Mrs. Seamans, is enjoying a fair share of patronage.
Great Bend - Horses are arriving daily to train for the races to be held here on the 16th, 17th and 18th. The track is in fine condition and some fast stepping will be witnessed. Every effort will be made to have these races properly conducted; nothing of a questionable character will be tolerated. AND Dr. Ebenezer Gill died August 1st, his death probably removing the last survivor in the county who fought for the Lone Star State during the Mexican War. Dr. Gill manufactured the Gill pill, which has been a great seller. He was a prominent Mason and the Gill Chapter, No. 12, Order of the Eastern Star, of which he was a worthy patron, was named for him.
St. Josephs - The eleven months old son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Ryan, who was badly scalded by getting into a pail of hot water, is fully recovered under the treatment of Dr. Gardner.
Thompson - Gus Burns is preparing to open a meat market on Main street. Such a place has been needed for a long time and ought to be a profitable outcome. AND The Thompson Flour & Feed Co. have dissolved partnership and the business will be run at the old stand by Arthur Smith, one of the old firm.
New Milford/Montrose - Capt. Henry F. Beardsley was born in New Milford township July 18, 1836 and died Aug. 9, 1905. He attended Wyoming Seminary, taught school for several terms, and in 1861 commenced the study of law with McCollum & Searle. The commencement of the war at this period touched the martial chords of his energetic spirit and receiving authority from Gov. Curtin, he became one of the foremost in organizing a company at New Milford and vicinity to go to the front. He was elected captain and his command, known as Co. F, 141st Regiment, P.V.I., served with bravery and distinction through its term of service. He was in many hard fought battles, among which were Fredericksburg, Chambersburg, and Chancellorsville. Among the comrades it was a standing joke that the captain's tall, spare, but nevertheless soldierly frame, afforded an almost impossible mark for the foeman, and from the accounts of his men as to his intrepid bravery it would almost seem such to be the case. An instance of Capt. Beardsley's coolness and strategy was shown when in the enemy's hands. On the forced march from Arlington Heights to Poolsville, which his regiment was obliged to make, Capt. Beardsley was disabled and left behind. In the role of a Quaker cattle buyer, however, and aided by his Quaker host, he outwitted his would-be captors. A valise containing his commission and private papers fell into the enemy's hands, but so well acted was his part that his real identity escaped detection. After his return to the county he edited and published a paper at New Milford. He was elected in 1875 Register and Recorder and served three successive terms. Remaining a resident of Montrose he was chosen commander of Four Brothers Post, G.A. R. and held the office for 11 years. The captain will be missed on our streets; he will be missed at our gatherings or at a political meeting; he will be missed by the comrades at their encampments, while relatives will mourn for one who was kind and loving, staunch and true, noble and generous.
Franklin Forks - The Boys and Girls of '76 held their 10th annual picnic at Salt Springs last Thursday. The day was fine and a bountiful dinner was served to about 180. After dinner the company was highly entertained with speeches by Rev. Marsland of Franklin Forks and Rev. Warnock of New Milford and fine singing by a selected choir. The graphaphone entertainment given by Mr. Stephens, of Montrose, was appreciated by all.
South Montrose - The Dukes Mixture team played the S. Montrose Semi-Professionals here on Saturday. They played ball too, the score being in their favor either 27 or 28 against 8. It was decidedly interesting at the start, when the score was in its youth, but in the third the batting commenced and the Duke's Mixtures ran in 19 scores. Home runs were numerous and the player that did not have at least two homers to his credit was "benched" and a more proficient swiper installed. Jack Robinson, the skillful cutter of fine glassware, acted as umpire and the S. Montrose boys insist he was the best player on the Duke's team. A return game will probably be played here tomorrow afternoon, when the Semis say they will make the Dukes look like the proverbial thirty cents.
Hopbottom - Hopbottom is certainly waking up. A charter has recently been granted Scranton parties to install a system of waterworks and now comes the report that Tarbell's Pond, near that place, has been purchased by parties with a view of furnishing the town electric lights, using the water from the pond as a means of generating power to run the plant. We hope such is the case and we also hope that Hopbottom has got borough officials with sufficient backbone to see that the citizens are not buncoed. Propositions from speculators often have a missionary-like sound, but experience proves that it's the coin of the realm they are after. A "square deal" for everybody is what is wanted.
Susquehanna - On the morning of July 28, between 10 and 11 o'clock, a sewer which is being constructed on East Main street, caved in, burying Philip Muscanara and Dominick Pisanto. Fathers Broderick and Kelly were soon at the scene of the accident and assisted in the act of rescuing the entombed men. Muscanara, after being entombed for more than two hours, was comparatively uninjured. His companion when found, was dead. His collar bone was broken and three ribs fractured. His death was due to suffocation.