Search
  • webmaster045

January 27 1900

BRANDT - John Wanamaker and Siegel, Cooper & Co., of New York, have purchased the entire finished product of the Brandt chair factory. It is reported that Union, N.Y., is also desirous of securing the Brandt chair factory. [As is Hallstead.]


FOREST CITY - Editor Gilder, of the Forest City News has been nominated by the Republicans of his town for the office of Justice of the Peace.


MONTROSE - Miss Frances K. Ammerman and Miss Sue Strous have passed the preliminary examinations and registered as students at law. Miss Ammerman will pursue her studies under the preceptorship of W.D.B. Ainey, Esq., and Miss Strous will study in the office of J.M. Kelly, Esq.


NEW MILFORD - The well-known and popular Crandall House, Binghamton, opened yesterday under the management of John W. Jay, formerly the popular New Milford landlord. Mr. Jay will conduct the Crandall on up-to-date lines which are sure to please his patrons, while he has placed the rates at popular figures, $1 and $1.50 per day; single meals, 40 cents. One of his clerks is Wm. O'Neill, formerly of the Tarbell House in Montrose. Mr. Shafer, of South Gibson, is the new landlord of the Jay House.


JACKSON - Mortuary Record for 1899 - Charles W. Pickering, ae 69; Amasa A. Page, ae 75; Maria Brown, age 86; Theodore Boldt, ae 15; Claud Washburn, 11 mo.; Edwin B. Moxley, ae 77; Marietta Case, ae 86; Phidelia Griffis, ae 79; Walden B. Payne, ae 62; Henry Cobb, ae 76; Edwin A. French, ae 61; William Fox, ae 18; Edna Pickering, ae 10; Emily Stoddard, ae 55; Charles French, ae 89.


SUSQUEHANNA - The Thirteenth Annual Ball of the Susquehanna Athletic Club, held on Tuesday evening in Hogan Opera House, was largely attended and a success in every respect. A large number of out-of-town dancers were present. The leading march was led by Daniel Furey and Miss Mame Teskey. Music was furnished by Doran's full Susquehanna orchestra and the supper by restaurateur Bennett.


OAKLAND - The Oakland Methodist church edifice was sold at sheriff's sale on Saturday, and purchased by Abraham Jordan, of Oakland. Until further notice, congregational services will be held in the church, conducted by Rev. Dr. Edward Taylor, of Binghamton.


EAST LENOX - Eddie Davis has received announcement of the marriage of his brother, Judson L. Davis, who left here nine years ago for Hebron, Wis., where he has since resided. AND - Those who were present speak in the highest terms of the phonograph entertainment given at the school house, Saturday evening, by Johnnie Davis, of Welsh Hill.


HERRICK CENTRE - The next election promises to be a very exciting one; the question of higher education may be settled for some time by the election of Directors. It is strange that people of otherwise good common sense will oppose the erection of a much needed school building because of the small extra tax it will cost - some even going so far as to say that our boys and girls are getting too much education in our old 7 x 9 school house. Let us throw away our old fogy ideas, and come out in the bright light of progress and show by our votes that we approve of what our Directors have done.


THOMSON - Some of our people who have been drawing coal from Forest City, say the wagoning can not be beaten. We remember some years ago when they were building the Erie railroad that iron was drawn from Honesdale to Lanesboro through here all one winter on wagons.


RUSH - The Young People's Society of Christian Workers will give a necktie party at the house of S.F. Bolles on Friday evening, Feb. 9. Each lady will bring a necktie enclosed in an envelope with her name thereon; each gentleman will draw an envelope and will take the lady whose name is on the envelope to supper, at a cost of 25 cents.


GLENWOOD - S.B. Mott, Henry McCracken and Wm. Raub, of this place, went fishing one day recently at the Acre Pond, and succeeded in catching 103 pickerel. How is that for fish?


SPRINGVILLE - The firm of Strickland and Osborne, blacksmiths, was dissolved a few days since, Mr. Osborne retiring. Mr. Strickland will continue business at the old stand, having secured the services of Ray Culver, late of Eatonville, Pa., as assistant.


HOPBOTTOM - Javan Sterling has taken the Lathrop mail route.


CLIFFORD - Mrs. Elmina (Palmer) Kent, the oldest person now living in our township, celebrated the 90th anniversary of her birth on the 12th of the present month, at a gathering at the home of her nephew and niece, Mr. and Mrs. E.P. Mack, at Lindaville, where she is spending the winter. Aunt Elmina, was born in Groton, CT, and when about 2 years of age her parents, Esek H. Palmer and Amy (Smith) Palmer, with their four children, came to Susquehanna Co., then sparsely settled and commenced making for themselves a home in the township of Brooklyn. She became the second wife of Robert Kent, who died in 1878. Elmina has been a woman of strong nerves, and as a rule has enjoyed good health, and since she reached the age of four score years, her movement has been much more like a 16 year old girl than like an old lady of her age.


HALLSTEAD - At the silk mill business seems very stagnant and a large number of employees have been laid off. Reports of every nature are circulated as well as the abandonment of this industry, but the management will give no information as to their plans. For six years the force employed in the mill has been as high as 100 and never less than 70.


0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

January 02 1920

Montrose – Seven prisoners escaped from County Jail early Christmas night. They managed to affect their escape and all but one, the youngest, were recaptured. Chance led the last man to get through th

December 26 1919

Susquehanna – Daniel Smith, of Lanesboro, a switchman in the Susquehanna Railroad yards, was instantly killed by passenger train No. 5, Dec. 20, 1919. He had been in the switchmen’s shanty getting war

December 19 1919

Herrick Twp. – Gardner Lee, son of Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel G. Lee, near Tirzah, accidentally shot himself and passed away almost instantly. He had been out hunting and came to the school house at Dart’