Search
  • webmaster045

January 31 1898

Lawsville - Frank Bailey, who went to Mount Pleasant, Ohio, last fall to take charge of a creamery, likes the country very much and also his position, and by the way Frank understands the business all right.


Uniondale - Lewis Lake was largely patronized by the young people of this place last Saturday night. Large fires were built and a merry time had even though the rumor that a large party from Carbondale were coming failed to materialize, and many of the young people were disappointed, still on a whole a very enjoyable time was had. AND Frank Westgate is erecting a large ice house and when finished it will have a thousand ton capacity, which he has contracted for. He also has orders for 500 cars for shipment this winter. A big quantity, but Frank is a hustler and will see that all orders are promptly filled.


Brookdale - There has been no school for three weeks. The teacher was sick first, and now a great many of the scholars are. All of Mr. Dolan's children are sick with the measles; Miss Mary Bruce is getting better; Mrs. Burns is quite sick; Mr. Kelly's girl and boy are on the sick list.


Susquehanna - A Susquehanna shop mechanic, and Methodist, has invented an improved Church contribution box, with a bell attachment. When a penny is put in it rings slightly. A nickel, a little louder. When a dollar is dropped in it calls out the fire department and a brass band two blocks down the street. AND St. John's old school building, on Broad street, one of the landmarks of the place, is being torn down.


Flynn - The Triangle Literary Society and other guests to the number of about 50, were very pleasantly entertained at the home of Mr. P. O'Brine, Jan. 14th. A well-selected program, including an amusing original comedy, a beautiful fairy divertisement [spelled exactly as it appears], various recitations, readings, vocal and instrumental solos were charmingly rendered.


Starrucca - Some of the young people drove to Jackson Friday night to attend the drama in Roberts' Hall. On their way back the sleigh tipped over and one of the gentlemen got his shoe wet.


Lathrop - Union Grange, No. 152, will have an oyster supper at Mackey brothers', Jan. 22d.


Montrose - Beach's foundry is now running ten hours a day. Harry is making things hum. AND The tip of the Presbyterian church spire blew off during the high wind of Saturday night, and striking the roof of the church, broke a hole through it some ten feet square. It had to be repaired Sunday afternoon.


Ararat - Mr. Barney Ferry wishes to announce that he found a purse containing two cents the other day in the road between the summit bridge and G.N. Wallace's AND A.N. Walker is stationed in his new store catering to the wants of those in need of food and clothing. West Liberty - Master Wallace Southworth is selling non-alcoholic flavoring powers. They are very good.


West Auburn - Singing school every Tuesday night at the West Auburn Hall.


Rush - Arrested For Murder: James Eagan and Cornelius Shew Now in Jail Charged With Killing Jackson Pepper. "They have arrested the Pepper murderers and have got them in jail!" was the startling though welcome news that went like wildfire through Montrose on Monday morning and quickly radiated to the furthermost extremities of the county of Susquehanna. Later in the day it was ascertained that after months of untiring effort light and truth had, apparent-ly, triumphed over what had seemed the most blind and baffling circumstances. The Crime. Few there are who will forget the horrid details of the crime--how A. Jackson Pepper, a farmer of Rush township, was foully murdered in his own barn on the night of October 19th, 1897. He had left his house, where he lived with his aged stepmother, known in the vicinage as "Aunt Sally," to go to the barn, just across the road, and husk corn. It was dark and the old gentleman took with him his lantern and a broom. His prolonged absence alarmed Aunt Sally, who had retired, and she got up and went to the barn; finding no light she returned to the house, rigged up an old lantern, and again made her way to the barn where she was horrified to find her aged stepson weltering in blood. Neighbors were quickly summoned and hurried to the scene. An examination of the unfortunate man disclosed the fact that life was not yet extinct, although his head was fearfully beaten, the skull fractured, and more than twenty distinct wounds in the scalp. Beside him lay a piece of an old whiffletree, which had been used as the implement of death, and it was bathed in the old man's blood; the grey hairs which clung to it told the story of the fiendishness of whoever used it. Near by were ears of freshly husked corn, showing that he had been at work when attacked. The victims hands and legs were bound with ropes and he had evidently been gagged with a handkerchief which was found wadded up and saturated with blood, indicating the motive for the crime to have been to secure the money the old couple were reputed to have hidden about the house. The unconscious man was tenderly carried to the house by Oliver Wilber, George Granger and George Pickett, and medical aid summoned. Dr. C.H. Warner promptly responded but the pulse was gone and the unequal struggle for life kept up by nature ended at three o'clock on Wednesday afternoon, when, possibly for the first time, the hand of Cain was placed upon the brow of some one unknown. [continued......]




Recent Posts

See All

January 02 1920

Montrose – Seven prisoners escaped from County Jail early Christmas night. They managed to affect their escape and all but one, the youngest, were recaptured. Chance led the last man to get through th

December 26 1919

Susquehanna – Daniel Smith, of Lanesboro, a switchman in the Susquehanna Railroad yards, was instantly killed by passenger train No. 5, Dec. 20, 1919. He had been in the switchmen’s shanty getting war

December 19 1919

Herrick Twp. – Gardner Lee, son of Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel G. Lee, near Tirzah, accidentally shot himself and passed away almost instantly. He had been out hunting and came to the school house at Dart’