top of page

October 15 1920/2020

Friendsville – Through an announcement in the Democrat today, E. E. Lee, of Friendsville, offers his mercantile business for sale, after a successful business career of 43 years. Mr. Lee feels that he would like to retire and it would seem that he is entitled to a vacation. The county has few finer gentlemen than he.

Montrose – The Humane Society wants a small house, just big enough for a person to get into, to use as a temporary shelter for cats and dogs left at the agent’s. Has anyone an unused chicken house, or other small building he or she would like to contribute for this purpose? If so, notify Dr. Cole.

Brooklyn – Mather Tiffany’s death occurred on Oct. 9th, 1920. He was the son of Thomas J. and Matilda (Rought) Tiffany and was born Oct. 7, 1847. He was a farmer of the old school and by strict attention to his farm and orchards had become owner of more land in Brooklyn than any other man. He was born and spent his entire life on the farm he owned at the time of his death.

Jackson – The people here are enjoying the Oregon Medicine show which is being held in

the I. O. O. F. hall.

Summersville, New Milford Twp.- The three-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Neff was drowned in the creek at that place last Friday. The child had been playing along the bank of the creek, which was very high, due to heavy rains the day before. In some way he fell into the water. Mrs. Neff supposed the child was playing in the dooryard and when she missed him she started a search, finding him a short time later drowned along the creek, where he had such a short time before been so happily playing. The family have lived here only a short time.

Brackney – Miss Giblin, who teaches the Ward school; Mrs. Wilks, who teaches the Brackney school, and Miss Mahoney, who teaches the Gage school, are attending Teachers’ Institute at Montrose this week.

Great Bend Twp. – Dr. Frederic Brush has been commissioned assistant surgeon with rank of lieutenant, in the U. S. navy reserve force. The Burke Foundation, of which he is medical director, has recently erected a bronze and granite monumental flag staff in front of the Brooklyn naval hospital in commemoration of their mutual services in caring for the sick and wounded sailors and marines in the world war.

Forest Lake - A runaway accident in Forest Lake Township probably fatally injured Miss Blanche Hamlin. She and her father and Homer Coy were returning from Binghamton and were riding behind a pair of restive broncos. They drove off a sluiceway, frightening the horses into a run, and lost control. Mr. Coy and Miss Hamlin jumped or were thrown out, and she had her feet caught in a wheel and was dragged for some distance before Mr. Coy managed to stop the team. She was carried to the home of LaMont Stone and a physician called. The left side of her face was torn and cut where she had been dragged over the stony ground, the temple artery was severed and one ear was nearly severed. She is being cared for by a professional nurse and will be removed to a Binghamton hospital for treatment when her condition improves.

Gelatt Hollow – Mrs. H. B. Johnson, local member of the Daughters of the American Revolution national committee on historical research, visited Gelatt Hollow where she authenticated the graves of George Gelatt and Joel Barnes, Revolutionary soldiers. Mrs. Johnson is desirous of establishing the identity of graves of all Revolutionary soldiers in the county.

Wilkes-Barre – A reunion of the 143d PA Volunteer Infantry will take place on Oct. 19th. Mark B. Perigo, of New Milford is second vice-president. George Simpson, of Montrose, is a member having served in the regiment during the war. He, with three other young men, enlisted from Dundaff together and all came out of the war, but he is the sole survivor of the quartet. The regiment was surrounded and practically made prisoner at Gettysburg, the major part of the regiment holding back the advance while the battery was taken to the rear, members of the regiment pulling the heavy guns after the horses had been killed. Most of the men were paroled on the field, but some, who refused to accept a parole, died in Andersonville or were held as prisoners.

Forest City – Bootlegging Saga – After breakfast at the Forest House the men saw the burgess at his barber shop and from this point there are conflicts in the story. Rafter alleges that the bootleggers talked with the burgess and Chief about fixing things up, the men saying they were willing to pay for their release and that Franko said he was agreeable to anything that satisfied the officers. Both Franko and the Chief say it is not so. The detective’s statement also alleges that the men accompanied Cost and Blacksmith into the bar room of the Central House and gave them $200 in marked money and then the party started for the garage to release the truck. This the officers vigorously deny. They say they were called into the bar room to have a cigar and finding the bartender out, the men with whom they had stayed up all night insisted on the officers taking a little tip, with the statement “You’ve been a pretty good guy.” It was suggested that they take a walk and they went toward the garage. Cost went in to see that the barrel was still intact, and then returned to join the chief who was standing further up the street. At this point there was a rapid change in the course of events. Det. Rafter, Special Officer J. W. Jones and others joined the group and with hardly a by-your-leave marched the two offices to the Muchitz hotel where rooms had been engaged. The officers declare there was a lavish display of firearms and they were practically held captive for several hours while they were put under one of those examinations known in police circles as “the third degree.” They were asked to sign statements before being allowed to depart. The burgess was called to the conference and had a talk, but made no statement. The alleged bootleggers were not able to get possession of the truck until late in the afternoon when it was released to them after the long conference in the hotel as evidence that there was no settlement of the case and release of the truck as intimated in the detective’s statement. Before leaving town the bung was knocked out of the barrel and the contents ran into the gutter. The barrel contained water.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page