top of page

July 16 1920/2020

Montrose – Rev. H. Horace Brown, the new pastor of A. M. E. Zion church, is soon to assume the pastorate here. ALSO Marshall P. Benninger, of Balboa Heights, Panama, is visiting relatives in town. He formerly lived in Brooklyn but has been in the employment of the government at Panama thirteen years. He will return this fall. ALSO Charles Mackey, Cornell’s crack wrestler, is in New York city making a try out for a place on the wrestling team in the forthcoming international Olympic games. “Chug” is not trying out for the heavyweight matches, but where speed and endurance count he will give some of them a real lively tussle.

Jackson – The storm which occurred in this section, Wednesday afternoon, caused much damage to roads in Gibson, Senior Hill being washed away so badly that it is impassable. It is reported that to rebuild the road would incur less expense than to repair it, as it is so badly damaged. Mr. Senior says the road was badly washed out there about sixty years ago. ALSO Twelve years ago this month, on July 24, 1908, a storm swept over the eastern part of the county, doing much damage to crops and property and also roads and bridges. The storm was particularly severe in Jackson and Gibson, causing streams to overflow and carry away bridges and small buildings and do hundreds of dollars of damage to roads. Previous to this storm there was a road running from E. I. Whitney’s to the New Milford road, known as the Gulf road. This was destroyed beyond repair. A section of W. W. Pope’s mill, with several pieces of machinery and some lumber, were carried away by the water. E. I. Whitney was one of the heaviest losers, having many farm buildings and crops lost in the onrush of the torrent.

Forest City – H. C. Grayem, of the Forest City News, had nine chickens of which he was justly proud. Sunday morning when he opened the hennery door, he was surprised to find them missing. Someone had taken them during the night.

Springville – Soon after the train left the station here on Sunday noon, going south, the old milk station was found to be on fire and was soon a mass of ruins. Owing to the railroad’s proximity, four rails were found to be badly twisted and new ones had to be laid before the 3:30 train could proceed on its way to Montrose. Herbert Fish had lately purchased the building and contents and will be the loser of much good lumber. Quite a loss at the present time.

Uniondale – The baseball team defeated the Ararat team at the fairgrounds, Saturday, by a score of 11 to 2. The visitors took their trimming graciously. Kraft, the local twirler, had the Summitites guessing. Davis did the receiving with credit. The team consists of Kraft, pitcher; W. Davis, catcher; R. Tuttle 1st base; G. Davis, 2nd base; L.Wademan, short stop; C Lowery, 3rd base; Glen Bayless, Harold Morgan and Ralph Carpenter, outfielders.

Harford – We are sorry to hear that Winston Osmun met with an accident, July 4th, while shooting a “sisser.” It burst a blood vessel in his eye and possibly his sight will be lost.

East Rush – Our pastor, Rev. Hilliard, gave us a very interesting sermon, his subject being “The Home.” Many more than were out ought to have been there and heard this sermon, for in these days when so many homes were being broken up by petty dissentions, such sermons are a benefit to all. ALSOThose who helped in building the concrete steps at the church wish to mention that the funds were furnished by the company of young people that gave the entertainment entitled, “The James Bros.,” two years ago, and that the clock and altar table that were presented to the church some time ago, were purchased by them also, and we wish to thank them through these columns for their noble work.

New Milford – Mrs. Abigail A. Hall died at her home on Saturday, July 3, 1920, at the age of 72 years. Mrs. Hall was born April 10, 1848, the daughter of David and Lucy Wellman. She was the widow of Richmond M. Hall, of New Milford, a veteran of the Civil War.

Lawsville, Liberty Twp. – The death of David W. Bailey occurred at his home in Lawsville on July 7, 1920. He was one of the prominent farmers of that section and his entire life of 75 years was spent in Liberty township, where he was born. He was a man of industrious habits, practical in his everyday life and candid in speech, and possessed a dry wit and love of humor, which made him an effective and engaging conversationalist. His integrity and sturdy honesty were recognized by all who had dealings with him. He was the son of Watson and Louisa Dawley Bailey, who were among the early residents of Lawsville. He was married to the former Delphine Law.

Herrick Center – The funeral of Mrs. Jane Tanner, 82, a resident of this village for many years, was held at the Baptist Church on Sunday, July 4th, Rev. Butler of Thompson, officiating. Interment was made in the Herrick Center cemetery.

Kingsley – Five little girls from New York city, sent out by the Tribune “Fresh Air Fund” are enjoying two weeks in the following homes: Fred Titus, George Tiffany, T. Stanton, A. J. Masters and Leon Hall.

Thompson – On Tuesday of this week, the pastor and trustees of the M. E. church were assembled in a body on a corner of C. M. Lewis’ extensive grounds, measuring, presumably, with a view to purchasing a new site for the church which has been in prospect for some time.

Girls Camp – The attention of our readers is called to the advertisement in this issue calling for a site for a girls’ camp at some nearby lake. These camps are drawing large crowds each summer and prove desirable in many ways to the communities in which they are located. Camp Susquehannock, for instance, has over 200 boys this summer and Camp Red Cloud, at Silver Lake, has some 150, while Camp Choconut has about 60. A girls’ camp is also flourishing at Little Meadows. The best class of young people attend these camps, where they are benefitted in health and mind during the two months in the open.

Another Route to Scranton – With the detours on the state road, many automobilists are inquiring the best way to go from Montrose to Scranton. Frank F. Pepper tells us the best route is from Montrose to Springville to West Nicholson, taking Tunnell Hill (and avoiding Roberts’ Hill) and then take the old roadbed of the Lackawanna railroad—which is to be converted into the Lackawanna Trail—to Brookside, where the macadam road leads one directly to the city.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page