top of page

February 28 1908/2008

Brooklyn - I. Z. Babcock, who resides near Ely Lake, made a call the Republican office one afternoon. He is 82 years young and well preserved and generally contented with life for a man of his years. Mr. Babcock, to make sure that the editor should not pay one cent postage rates on his paper, paid in advance to Jan. 1, 1910. He is the kind of a man who keeps the editor from growing cynical and morbid, and of the type you can "trust with your pocketbook." AND Steps are being taken looking toward the securing of a charter and forming an association to take charge of the cemetery on the hill, which is sadly neglected. It was established nearly 75 years ago in connection with the Universalist church, which stood across the way.

Montrose - Dr. J. G. Wilson's team ran away with him near Tiffany [Corners], Tuesday afternoon, and were stopped almost exhausted, after a run of a couple of miles, on Grow avenue. The doctor was thrown out at the start, the top covered sleigh dragging along on its side. The top was packed full of snow but no damage was done. The snow was dug out and the parties started out after the doctor, who, undisturbed and enjoying the humor of the situation, was hiking into town afoot.

Fair Hill - Arthur Bolles, Ashley Jagger and Ethel Andre were pleasant callers at J. R. Beebe's and enjoyed a few games of Flinch Saturday evening.

Gelatt - A sleighload from here attended the donation at Harvey Brown's last Thursday night for the benefit of the Methodist preacher at Jackson.

Susquehanna - The formal opening of the new Hotel Oakland took place here last Saturday evening to the accompaniment of band music and good cheer. The building, up to date in all respects, and under the management of John J. McGinty, was visited by hundreds of citizens during the evening, who were piloted through the different apartments by an efficient corps of attendants. The plans of the hotel were prepared by County Commissioners' Clerk W. H. Foster whose ability as an architect is proven by the beauty, exactness and convenience of the building.

Rush - Thomas Fitzpatrick, a wealthy and highly respectable farmer, residing in Rush Twp., near West Auburn, accidentally killed himself on Monday afternoon last. It seems that Mr. Fitzpatrick took a shotgun and went out to shoot sparrows. About 3 o'clock in the afternoon some one heard a muffled report of a gun, and soon after the dead body of Mr. Fitzpatrick was found, the charge of the gun having entered his heart. He was about 40 years of age and his tragic death has cast a gloom over the community. What makes it still more sad is that he was to be married this week to Lizzie Carroll, of Retta.

Great Bend - The body of James Donovan, who committed suicide by jumping from the river bridge at Great Bend in November last, was found in the Susquehanna river near Selinsgrove a few days ago, and a paragraph in a Philadelphia paper led to identification by his relatives. The body was seen by the foreman of a gang of track laborers on the Pennsylvania railroad, who succeeded in recovering it, and it was buried Feb. 19. Accompanied by F. E. Burke, undertaker at Great Bend, Mrs. Donovan went to Selinsgrove and had the body exhumed and taken to her home. The body when found was destitute of clothing except where his underclothing was held for a few inches by his shoes, which were in a good state of preservation. The flesh had not been cut and mangled by contact with the ice for 200 miles, as might be supposed, which gives credence to the theory that the body had been carried down the river by the high water at the time of drowning.

Auburn Four Corners - The Auburn stage was discontinued February 22. Our stage driver, Mr. Lowe, made his last trip to Montrose. What will we do without the Montrose stage? AND The school in this place was closed on Monday on account of the illness of [the teacher's] Mr. Sheldon's father, George Sheldon, of Lynn.

Lenoxville - A dramatic company from Lenoxville presented a drama entitled "Under the Laurels" at South Gibson last Wednesday evening. The little village can boast of some fine speakers and beautiful singers.

Royal, Clifford Twp. - One of the largest weddings ever known in this vicinity was held Feb. 12th, when T. F. Wells, Esq., joined together in matrimony, Joseph Doud, of Royal, and Addie Edsall, of Towanda. Mrs. Griffin, of Lenox, played the wedding march; Grace Mitten was best girl and Willis Wilson, best man. There were about 80 persons present. They were served sandwiches, 5 kinds of cake, cheese, coffee, olives, a great variety of mixed candies, oranges, etc. They played the old game of snap and ketch 'em, when the bridegroom had to run for dear life to 'ketch' the bride. Afterward the guests presented a nice little pot of money and congratulated the bride and groom.

Thompson - Rumor has it that the Flyer will make only one trip a day over the Jefferson branch after the first of March. Poor old Flyer, it has shown the infirmities of old age for some time past. AND The basket ball game between the Thompson team and the Susquehanna team passed off without any disturbance or marked feature.

Uniondale - Alfred Lewis will leave next month to seek a location in Wyoming. He says Uncle Sam owes him a farm and he is going to get it.

Birchardville - Earle Edwards is working for Mr. Platt at the birch oil distillery.

Lanesboro - Hurled with terrific force by an explosion of dynamite, a huge boulder crashed through the roof of a blacksmith shop in [the] Lanesboro stone quarry, Friday morning, seriously injuring Herbert Brown and exploding a large quantity of dynamite that was being thawed out. A number of workmen narrowly escaped death in the second explosion and but for their prompt and courageous work Mr. Brown would have been killed. The accident occurred in the quarry of J. A. Taylor. The workmen were blasting and after lighting the fuse of an unusually heavy charge, they ran to the shop, taking shelter behind it. The fearful detonation of the exploding dynamite was heard for miles around. The boulder, weighing fully half a ton was thrown 200 ft. and crashed into the shop and set fire to the building. The stove was overturned, struck Mr. Brown and broke his leg. At the risk of the dynamite exploding in the shop, the workmen rushed in and dragged Mr. Brown outside, just before the dynamite ignited.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page