February 14 1913/2013
Brooklyn - Death claimed Stephen Fitch Breed at the age of 38. He was born in Brooklyn, the eldest son of Robert Fitch Breed and Emma M. Beers Breed. His paternal grandfather, Stephen Breed Sr., came to Brooklyn from Stonington, Conn. in 1812. Mr. Breed, when he came to Brooklyn, purchased the farm which has remained in the Breed family for over 100 years. When Mr. Breed came to Brooklyn he moved into what is held to be the first house built in that territory of this county, which was on the farm purchased and was built by Adam Miller in 1787, which stood by the large spring south of the present road. (The first settlers in Susquehanna county were Ozias Strong and Adam Miller. Ozias Strong registered his land before Mr. Miller). Stephen Breed was an exception to most of the early settlers, inasmuch as he brought $300 in cash, in those days a large amount, with which to begin life in his new home. In 1822 Mr. Breed built the present residence and opened it as a house for public entertainment and during all the days of the old Milford & Owego Turnpike, “The Travelers’ Home,” as it was called, was an oasis in the tiresome journey over the hills. It was a temperance house, and militia drills were held in the smooth field south of the house. Stephen Fitch Breed inherited the farm after graduating from Binghamton Central high school in 1894. He was an elder in the Presbyterian Church, a school director and a Republican. He is survived by his mother and his wife, Lizzie Wright Breed, and two brothers.
Montrose - While H. E. Cooley was returning in an automobile from the Binghamton auto show, his machine skidded into the ditch as he was near Lake Mont Rose. One of the rear wheels was smashed. A passing farmer’s team [of horses] towed the damaged machine to his garage. ALSO: There is a growing demand in Montrose for homes. There are fewer houses for rent now than ever before, nearly every house being occupied. What is needed is a number of houses that will rent from $10 to $15.
Boucherville - Levi T. and son, Selden C. Birchard, breeders of thoroughbred Jerseys, lately sold 25 head from their herds to Superintendent Beemer of the Hillside Home, Clark’s Summit. Tuberculosis recently infected the Hillside Home’s cows and it was necessary to kill them and buy a new herd.
Elk Lake - The ice plow began to sing on the lake Tuesday morning. C. W. Stedman and J. G. Cart have charge of filling the ice houses around the lake. ALSO: Many farmers improved the sleighing by drawing logs to the sawmills. C. S. Lathrop has his mill in operation.
Harford - “Bulletins from the Temperance War” will be the topic of the Endeavor service Sunday evening. Leader, Miss Jean Follett.
Gibson - A carload of cheese boxes arrived at New Milford for the Gibson creamery last week. This is the second carload within a year and it speaks well for the prosperity of the association. Both cheese and butter are made and a ready market is found for them.
Gelatt - One morning, a short time ago, when C. J. Gelatt—who has never been in the habit of locking a door at night—got up in the morning and found a tramp sitting by the heating stove. The doors have been locked every night since.
Jackson - It is reported that a man, some 30 years old, traded a pair of felt boots and rubbers to a man who lives in Gibson township, for the latter’s 14 year old daughter, and that the pair are now living in Jackson township as man and wife. The people in the same two townships are doing missionary work among the heathen in foreign countries.
Forest Lake - Wm. H. Street, aged 75 years, died on Feb. 9, at the home of J. P. Burr. Mr. Street had been in failing health for several years and had spent the winter for some time at the soldier’s home, Johnson City, Tenn., having served his country in Co. D, 50th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers.
New Milford - One of the old land marks of New Milford is being removed this week. The old orchard on what is known as the “Burrus Place,” is being cut down. For nearly 75 years this orchard has been a familiar sight to the citizens of the town and many of the historic events of the town have taken place in the shade of its trees. On Aug. 22, 1862 more than 50 years ago, Co. F, of the famous old 141st Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, was recruited here, and the people of the town turned out in mass and served a dinner in this orchard as they bade the brave soldier boys God speed in their efforts to put down the rebellion. But few of the 96 men who marched out of the orchard fifty years ago are living now to see the old trees cut down to make room for modern progress. In a few years this old land mark will be only a memory, and when its site is covered with modern business blocks, or, perhaps a large manufacturing plant, it will be hard for the youth of the city to realize that this historic old orchard ever existed.
Clifford - The fruits of practical Christianity were never better exemplified than in the generous rally of this community in relieving the pressing necessities of Mrs. George Snedeker and family, whose husband and father lost his life in their burning home. A generous supply of clothing, cash, furniture and provisions has relieved all present necessities.
Lawsville - The directors of the Lawsville Center Creamery Co. are busy with their men filling the ice house with ice from Archie Southworth’s pond.
Herrick - A few short moons ago, Charles A. Casteline was possessed of exuberant spirits and all the world was a bunch of happiness and sunshine. It was then he took a fair damsel for better or worse. She, with motherly feeling, took compassion on him and they were joined “till death do us part.” But the scene changes and another story can be told. She folded up her tent and hied to the hills of Wyoming county there to remain notwithstanding the entreaties of her leige lord and master. Charlie has become discouraged and says he will pay no bills of her contracting. (Forest City News)
Silver Lake - We were much interested in a gold “25 cent piece” shown us by Hon. Geo. C. Hill. This handsome little piece of money is in an excellent state of preservation, although Mr. Hill has carried it in his picket for more than 49 years—from the time of the second enlistment in the Civil War. There was a custom many years ago among the boys and girls, of eating a “filopean.” Following the eating of filopean, by a boy and girl, the boy or girl first saying filopean, was entitled to a present from the other. Mr. Hill won a present in this way, and the girl gave him this gold piece, just as he was leaving for the Civil War. He highly prizes it.