top of page

December 27 1907/2007

Susquehanna - Susquehanna was the scene of a murder which caused great excitement yesterday, Dec. 26th. The murdered man, John L. Sullivan, was a switchman in the Erie yards, while the alleged murderer is an Italian strikebreaker, Joseph Frank. The murder took place about noon near the Susquehanna end of the Susquehanna-Oakland bridge, not far from the new roundhouse. Frank, after a short altercation, drew a revolver and shot Sullivan through the head below the ears. Although there were several witnesses within sound of the shot, Frank succeeded in eluding the searchers. He mixed with the men at the roundhouse and watching his opportunity, told a couple of men who were going in the direction of Great Bend that he would accompany them, and they, having no suspicions, made no effort to capture him. The trio walked down the tracks as far as Red Rock, where Chief of Police McMahon and Tony Hogan, who had a description of Frank, caught up with them. The prisoner was taken to Susquehanna and placed in the lockup. When it became known that he was captured a large and excited crowd gathered around the building and it was feared an effort might be made to lynch the prisoner. Father P. F. Brodrick reasoned with the crowd, calming them to such a degree that finally, at about 7:30 in the evening, the culprit was escorted to a vehicle and accompanied by three armed men, "Jack" P. Palmer, A. P. Griffin and J. Zegler, brought to Montrose and placed in jail. Sullivan was about 24 years of age and employed nights as a switchman and was a popular young man. His father died a short time ago and he is survived by his mother and two sisters. Frank is a man somewhat older than Sullivan and little is known of him, although he speaks English intelligibly.

Dimock - In the good old days, when the Searle's operated their stage line, Dimock was one of the principal stopping places. Since then the passing days have wrought changes in the country, but the memory of those old and sturdy pioneers still lingers in the hearts of Dimock's good people. They remember when two hotels were necessary for the accommodation of guests. They know that but one is necessary now, and the good thinking people, who consider that Dimock is four miles from Springville, six miles from Montrose, six miles from Auburn and about five miles from Brooklyn, cannot help but realize that a hotel for such accommodation is a necessity. It is a fact which cannot be disputed that Mr. Cope, who resides in Dimock, has never by act or deed made a remonstrance against the hotel. He is a practical man and well understands the need of a place where the weary traveler can be entertained; and while he may not, as the poet has said, feel "Of all the places I have been, The one most welcome was the inn," he probably, as a man of affairs, knows that an inn is necessary for Dimock. He undoubtedly knows that at the last election but five Prohibition votes were cast in the township. He is well aware of the existing conditions in the Dimock free library and the speech of the people in good old Dimock township shows that they have not forgotten the Dolan family, nor have they neglected to remember the methods they have always employed in the operation of a public house, and it would be well and for the benefit of mankind if more such public houses were maintained.

Montrose - Jones' Lake was frozen over, following the rains of the first of the week, making good skating for Christmas. A large number thronged the lake Wednesday afternoon and have since been enjoying, during the week, this popular winter sport. AND R. B. Little was appointed President Judge of this, the 34th judicial district, by Gov. Stuart, to fill the unexpired term, about one year, of Judge Searle. Mr. Little was born in 1865 and educated at the Montrose Academy and Keystone Academy. He studied law in the office of his father, George P. Little.

Dundaff - Our stage driver has had bad luck during the past week. While driving home last Thursday one of his horses dropped dead; while last Saturday he was compelled to leave his wagon in a big snow drift and continue on his way afoot.

Hopbottom - A. J. Greene has equipped his house with hot and cold water.

Franklin Twp. - The storm that prevailed here Saturday was the worst that has been known in years. The mail carriers did not succeed in going around, they only went a short distance when obliged to return. This was the first trip they have missed. Archie Summers was in Binghamton and had to drive all the way in that storm of hail and wind to get to home, sweet home.

Glenwood - We hear that the next aid will be for the benefit of Mrs. Sprague, who was so badly burned. Dr. Decker says she may get well. Her daughter, Eloise, was burned about the face and neck. Mr. Sprague was burned about the head. Mr. Lynch, the son-in-law, arose at about 2 o'clock to take a load of produce to Scranton, built a fire, called his wife, then went to the barn. She, hearing a noise in the kitchen, opened the door when the flames burst out. A few moments later the house was in flames with the above results.

Brooklyn - A large number of young people, who are attending the various schools and colleges, are spending their vacations with friends here. Among the are: Misses Edna Eldridge and Edna Ely, West Chester Normal; Miss Bertha Savige, Messrs. Chas. and Geo. Savige, and Guy Corson, of Wyoming Seminary; Messrs. Leon, Levi and Tracy Stephens and Clare Whitman, of State College.

Hallstead - John E. Hamer, one of the oldest residents here and a familiar figure around the Mitchell house, where he resided, died at his room in the hotel, Dec. 12. He was about 77 years of age, and as far as can be learned, had no living relatives in this country. He was familiarly known as "Happy." He has been taken care of by the Clune family, with whom he has lived for the past 42 years. He was an Englishman by birth and was held in high esteem and reverence by the members of the family, and his demise is very deeply regretted. He was a veteran of the Civil War and fought with great distinction in many battles on land and sea and was severely wounded in several engagements. The way Mr. Hamer came to live in the Clune family, where he had a nice home without expense, only such chores as he chose to do, is worthy of note. During the Civil War, Mr. Clune's father was a member of the same regiment with Mr. Hamer and during one of the great battles Mr. Clune was so badly injured that he was left on the battlefield for three days with the dead. When the dead were being picked up and buried, Mr. Hamer discovered that his comrade, Mr. Clune, was still alive and it was by his prompt and heroic care that he was taken at once to the hospital and given the necessary medical attention which saved his life. When Mr. Clune's time of service was up and he came to his home, he left word that as soon as Mr. Hamer's time in the army expired, he should come to Mr. Clune's home, which he did at the close of the war and where he continued to make his home with the family until his death.

Compiled By: Betty Smith

bottom of page