December 13 1897/1997
St. Joseph - Through the kindness of their pastor--Rev. John J. Lally-- a way has been provided by which the parishioners of the Catholic Church may purchase a new organ for that church.
Friendsville - If a Friendsville correspondent writes correctly, the residents of that town hold the belt for longevity. According to this writer there are 20 persons in the town over 90 years of age and five who have lived beyond the century mark. The names of the latter are given as: Mrs. Mary Cullen, 104; John Gilson, 102; Wm. Seeley, 102; and Mrs. Ellen Garcey and Mrs. Pilaney Goelen, whose exact ages are not given.
Forest City - The Greek Catholics are building a church.
Hallstead - Our representative made a visit to Hallstead silk mill recently and found a hive of industry. The manager, Mr. Bernstein, said it was an assured fact that he had orders enough to more than keep the machinery busy all winter and would soon have to enlarge. Employment would be given to all the steady girls that might move to this place. While inexperienced help was paid moderately at first, the company has now in its employ 75 girls, a number of whom are paid $5.50 a week with opportunity of earning more money. It is a nice clean business and a desirable place to get employment.
Lenoxville - Some little stir was occasioned in the social circle when it became known that two of its popular young people had been quietly married in Jersey City. The young couple were Miss Grace Morgan and G. Severance. It had been suspected that the young persons desired to join fortunes, but it was objected to by the parents of the young lady, who is but 16 years of age. They left Lenoxville together, ostensibly to attend the theater in Carbon-dale, but instead they proceeded to Jersey and were made man and wife. Parental forgiveness ensued without delay.
New Milford - New Milford is covering herself with glory. She has furnished both Binghamton and Montrose with Mayors this year. That is, Mayor Smith, of Montrose, and Mayor DeWitt, of Binghamton, were both New Milford boys.
Susquehanna - Plans have been made for a 30x50 feet four story addition to the Canawacta Hotel owned by Wm. Donahue. The dining room will be enlarged to 60x22 feet and a 22x36 foot office will occupy the present site of the bar-room. A new sample room 24 ft square will occupy part of the new addition. Each of the three floors above will contain eight rooms and bath. The exterior of the hotel is tastefully designed with a tower and balcony. The improvements will cost about $4000.
Brookdale - The new Methodist church has been pushed with great energy, under the direction of Rev. Fisher, who lets no grass grow under his feet, and is now nearly completed.
Ainey - I. A. Strickland is erecting a large wind mill upon his premises, for the purpose of grinding feed, cutting fodder, etc. Gibson - George Hulburt and A. Stockbine have purchased the saw mill formerly owned by Payne & Decker and are doing a fine business.
Flynn - Our steam mill has not come yet, but if all hands draw their logs there, Mr. Terry will put the mill in the spring, which would be better than drawing the logs away and the lumber back.
Birchardville - The trustees of the creamery have let the furnish-ing of the wood for the creamery for 94 and 95 cents a cord, to be 2 feet long and delivered at creamery.
West Auburn - Report of West Auburn School for month ending Nov. 12. Names of those averaging 90 percent or over: Anna Fuller, 96; Clara Herman, 90; Bessie Sink, 91; Effie Inman, 91; May Wootton, 90; Mamie LaFrance, 90, Eliza LaFrance, 90; Sulia Angell, 93; Rose Wootton, 92; Jessie La France, 92; Edna Swackhamer, 94; Florence Lacey, 91; Eva Baker, 90; Bryce Cogswell, 95; Allie Jayne, 93; Lisle Horton, 91. Whole number enrolled 44. Average attendance for the month, 40. Susie Swackhamer, Teacher.
Montrose - The store of George H. Watrous has donned its holiday attire and presents to the beholder a sight of wondrous brilliancy and beauty; it is a veritable Christmas dream fulfilled. Utilized in the elaborate trimmings are magnolia, holly and wild smilax from the southland, together with our native running pine. Fourteen gorgeous Christmas trees add to the realism and beauty of the scene, and these trees are heavily laden with gifts of all kinds. It is well worth your while to drop in and view these decorations, whether bent on purchasing or not. AND Mr. Andrew Washington was born in Maryland in 1828 and died in Nov. of 1897. He came by way of the underground railroad from Dixie's land to the freedom of Montrose, when a young man, and was for nearly 10 months employed by Henry Clemons who at that time was in the carriage manufacturing business. After the labors of the day were over, this young man, taking a tallow candle, would retire to some quiet corner and there devote himself diligently to reading and study. Mr. Washington was married to Sarah Thompson in 1852 until her death July 12, 1887. Their surviving daughter, Mrs. Johanna Brown, has kindly and faithfully looked after the household duties.
Compiled By: Betty Smith