Thompson Township




Jackston Street, Thompson, PA
Julian Campbell Photograph


Borden Plant, Thompson, PA
Julian Campbell Photograph

 

Churches:

Centerville Community Church (vacant) located on Rt. 171

Churches in Thompson Borough

First Baptist Church located on Rt. 171
United Methodist Church located on Rt. 171 & 1005

*STOCKER'S HISTORY - Thompson Borough (1887)

Thomson Methodist Church - Early records were very meager up to a certain date. However, the first church was erected in 1851 and dedicated in 1852. It was remodeled and repaired and rededicated in 1875.

Thompson Free-Will Baptist Church was organized Nov. 16, 1867. The present church was dedicated June 4. 1876.

 Cemeteries:

Fairmont Cemetery, Rt. 171
St. Mary's Cemetery, Rt. 1001
Thompson Cemetery, Rt 171


Building and Geographic Information According to the 1872 Beers' Atlas of Susquehanna County. To obtain copies of maps e-mail us for details.

B. SHOPS - Dist. #5
BLACK SMITH SHOPS (B.S. SH.)-Town of Thompson (B. S. & Wagon Shop. - E. E. Dow)
CREEKS/BROOKS - Red Brook - Dist. #1 & Dist. #2, Starrucca Creek - Town of Thompson, Dist. #1, Dist. #6
HOTELS - Town of Thompson ( C. Stoddard & J. W. Van Horn); Dist. #6
PONDS - Town of Thompson; Church Pond - Dist. #5
POST OFFICES ( P. O.) - Town of Thompson ( Post Office & Store - J. L. Lewis)
SAW MILLS (S.M. or S. MILL) - Town of Thompson ( J. M. Lamont); (2) Dist. #1 ( H. A. Fonda & J. M. Lamont); Dist. #5 ( D. R. Pope)
STEAM SAW MILLS - Town of Thompson (C. Gelatt)
SCHOOLS - Town of Thompson; Dist. #2; Dist. #3; Dist. #4; Dist. #5; Dist. #6
STORES - Town of Thompson, (Post Office & Store - J. L. Lewis)
WAGON SHOPS (W. SH.) - Town of Thompson (B. S. Shop & Wagon Sh. - E. E. Dow)

Others:

Harness Shop & Store, Town of Thompson ( W. W. Messenger)
Mill, Dist. #1
Railraods - Jefferson Branch of Erie R. R. - Town of Thompson (Depot ), Dist. #1, Dist. #3, Dist. #6
Starrucca Depot, Dist. #6
Tannery, Dist. #4
Tin Shop, Town of Thompson
Water Tanks, Dist. #3 & Dist. #6


Place Names, Old and New

Thompson Township was formed during the April Session (of the Court of Quarter Sessions) in 1833. For further information, see also Township Incorporations.

Starrucca Station, former train station, named after the Starrucca Creek.

Thompson, post office; former train station, telegraph station, and express office. Incorporated as a borough 15 Aug 1876. Pop. 309 in 1900. Named to honor William Thomson, associate judge in Susquehanna County at the time of its organization and for years after.


Return to Township Map

Return to Main Page


Email Us: info@susqcohistsoc.org

Copyright © 2002-2004 Susquehanna County Historical Society
2 Monument Square
Montrose, PA 18801

All Rights Reserved