Isaac Hale's House, Built by Joe Smith,
Founder of the Mormon Religion
Restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood
May 15, 1829 near Harmony, PA.
Joseph Smith, John the Baptist and Oliver Cowdery.
Building and Geographic Information According to the 1872 Beers' Atlas of Susquehanna County. To obtain copies of maps e-mail us for details
Oakland Township was formed on 3 Dec 1853. For further information, see also Township Incorporations.
Brushville, neighborhood about 2 miles south of Susquehanna Depot.
Oakland, originally called North or West Susquehanna and then Oakland Village. Incorporated from Oakland Twp. as a borough 14 Nov 1883. Most residents at that time were employees of the Erie Railroad. Harvey Holdridge of Albany Co., NY, came in 1866. He was one of the first businessmen, founding Holdridge Mills, which manufactured winow sashes, blinds, and doors and did planing and matching of lumber and grinding of grain. Pop. approx 1,000 in both 1887 and 1900.
Starrucca Viaduct, a bridge built by the New York, Lake Erie, and Western Railroad that spans the Starrucca Creek near where it empties into the Susquehanna River. Built in 1846-1847, it is 1,200 ft long and 98 ft high, and it has 17 symmetric arches.
Return to Township Map
Return to Main Page
Copyright © 2002-2004 Susquehanna County Historical Society
2 Monument Square
Montrose, PA 18801
All Rights Reserved