Herrick School, Herrick Center, Circa 1920
View of Herrick Center, PA ca. 1910 - 1915
Building and Geographic Information According to the 1872 Beers' Atlas of Susquehanna County. To obtain copies of maps e-mail us for details.
Herrick Township was formed on 20 Apr 1825. For further information, see also Township Incorporations.
Dimock Corners, former hamlet. The area was first settled by John Kent. A tavern was built there by his brother Abel Kent in 1798. In 1811, Asa Dimock moved there (at the intersection of the Newburgh and Wilkes-Barre turnpikes) with his family, and the neighborhood became knowns as "Dimock Corners." A post office, called "Dimockville," existed there from 31 Jan 1826 to 3 Jun 1846.
Elk Hill (southeast corner of the twp); location of Elk Mountain Ski Resort.
Herrick Centre, former post office; former railroad station, telegraph station, and express office; pop. 410 in 1900.
Tirzah, former post office, closed 30 Aug 1909 (mail routed through Union Dale P.O.).
Tresco, former post office, closed 30 Jun 1909 (mail routed through Union Dale P.O.).
Uniondale, post office; former railroad station, telegraph station, and express office. Incorporated as a borough 12 Jan 1885. Pop. 351 in 1900.
Return to Township Map
Return to Main Page
Copyright © 2002-2004 Susquehanna County Historical Society
2 Monument Square
Montrose, PA 18801
All Rights Reserved