Brandt, From the East
Free Methodist Chapel - Melrose
Building and Geographic Information According to the 1872 Beers' Atlas of Susquehanna County. To obtain copies of maps e-mail us for details
Harmony Township was formed in 1809. "Harmony" was the name given, in 1789, to the first settlement in the area where Cascade Creek emptied into the Susquehanna River. When organized 1809, the township took the name of this settlement. The settlement was established by Samuel Stanton, of Mt. Pleasant, Wayne Co., PA, as the terminus of a road he and others helped build between the Susquehanna and Delaware Rivers. Joseph Smith, the Mormon prophet, lived in Harmony Twp. while he translated the "Golden Tablets." He married a local girl, Emma Hale, daughter of Isaac Hale. For further information, see also Township Incorporations.
Bethel Hill, neighborhood on the north side of Comfort Pond. Site of a Methodist Episcopal Church. Name of the area's school district.
Brandt, hamlet on the Starrucca Creek, about 2 miles above the Starrucca Viaduct. It was originally called "Harmony Centre" until renamed in honor of Henry William Brandt. Brandt, born in Hanover, Germany, was a prominent business man in the township. The Jefferson Branch of the Erie Railroad also had a depot here. The post office, established in 1869, was called Harmony Centre until 1875, when it was changed to Brandt. The post office closed 15 Sep 1932. Pop. 300 in 1900.
Cascade Creek, empties into the Susquehanna River about three-fourths of a mile below the New York state border. In 1789, at the mouth of the creek, Samuel Preston of Wayne Co. began construction on a turnpike that eventually connected to Stockport on the Delaware River. A short ways up the creek is a waterfall, and Native American relics have been found in the vicinity.
Harmony Center, first name of the post office established at Brandt in 1869; it was changed to "Brandt" in 1875.
Jefferson Station, former railroad station just outside the village of Starrucca. While the village is located in Wayne Co., PA, the station was in Susquehanna Co.
Lanesboro, post office; former railroad station, telegraph station, and express office. Incorporated as a borough on 14 Aug 1889. Pop. 821 in 1900. Lanesboro was first called "Lanesville," as named by Martin Lane; his son, Jesse Lane, changed it to "Lanesboro." The post office was established in 1820 as Lanesville; the name was changed to Lanesboro in 1829.
Melrose, former post office; former railroad station.
Stevens Point, former post office, closed 15 Feb 1934 (mail routed through Susquehanna Depot P.O.); former train station; pop. 150 in 1900
Susquehanna Depot, incorporated from Harmony Twp. as a borough 19 Aug 1853. Although the first clearing in this area was made in the late 1700s, it wasn't until 1846, when the Erie Railroad broke ground for its depot and shops, that it became densely populated. The shops covered 8 acres and in 1887 could turn out five locomotives per month. Susquehanna has also been called a "City of Stairs" because its location on two hills that rise sharply from the Susquehanna River caused numerous stairways to be built throughout the town. Pop. 3,818 in 1900.
Return to Township Map
Return to Main Page
Copyright © 2002-2004 Susquehanna County Historical Society
2 Monument Square
Montrose, PA 18801
All Rights Reserved