Main Street, Kingsley, PA
Martin's Creek Viaduct
Julian Campbell Photograph
Building and Geographic Information According to the 1872 Beers' Atlas of Susquehanna County. To obtain copies of maps e-mail us for details.
Harford Township was formed during the January Session (of the Court of Quarter Sessions) in 1813. For further information, see also Township Incorporations.
Alford, formerly called Montrose Depot. A post office was established in the name of Montrose Depot on 11 Mar 1852. Because railroad passengers and shippers thought the stop was in the town of Montrose, there was much confusion. In March 1877 the name was changed to get rid of the confusion. The name "Alford" was suggested by Hattie Tiffany in honor of her paternal grandfather, Alford Tiffany. The post office was closed 15 Dec 1944 (mail routed through Kingsley P.O.). Former railroad station, telegraph station, and express office. Pop. 75 in 1900.
Harford, village, post office. Residents attempted to have it incorporated as a borough in early 1865, but the petition was denied by the Court of Quarter Sessions. Pop. 200 in 1900.
Harford Soldiers' Orphan School, opened in November 1865 on the former Franklin Academy campus, it was to house and school the destitute children of Civil War veterans, both dead and alive. It was one of 44 such facilities in Pennsylvania and was open until 1902. One of the buildings is still standing. It is the home of the Harford Historical Society.
Kingsley, post office; former DL&W railroad station, telegraph station, and express office; pop. 75 in 1900. Names for Rufus Kingsley, a Revolutionary War veteran and first settler.
Oakley, former post office, closed 30 Jul 1904 (mail routed through Hop Bottom P.O.); former train station; pop. 78 in 1900.
West Harford, former post office.
Return to Township Map
Return to Main Page
Copyright © 2002-2004 Susquehanna County Historical Society
2 Monument Square
Montrose, PA 18801
All Rights Reserved