Hallstead and Great Bend Transfer Boat During Flood
Great Bend High School, Circa 1911
Building and Geographic Information According to the 1872 Beers' Atlas of Susquehanna County. To obtain copies of maps e-mail us for details.
Great Bend Township was formed during the March Session (of the Court of Quarter Sessions) in 1791 under the name of "Willingborough". It was renamed "Great Bend" on 28 Nov 1814. For further information, see also Township Incorporations.
Egypt, a highland region across the Susquehanna River from Red Rock, was originally covered with pine trees. Wright and Samuel Chamberlain operated mills there. The land has been described as "stony and sterile", worthless for farming and home to rattlesnakes.
Great Bend, post office; former railroad station, telegraph station, and express office. Incorporated as a borough 19 Nov 1861. Pop. 836 in 1900. "Lodersville" was the initial name of the Erie Railroad depot and the post office in Great Bend.
Hallstead, post office; former telegraph station and express office. Incorporated as a borough 28 Nov, 1874, under the name of "Great Bend Village"; renamed "Hallstead" in 1887, in honor of the president of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad. Pop. 1,404 in 1900. The village grew up along the river as a turnpike town from 1801. The main street was the Great Bend and Cochecton Turnpike. The DL&W Railroad, with its depot, dozen or more tracks, and large roundhouse, brought significant growth to the town.
Hickory Grove, hamlet, post office from 22 Nov 1872 to15 Jan 1914 (mail routed through Susquehanna Depot P.O.); former railroad station.
Locust Hill, neighborhood in the northeast corner. Many of the early settlers, arriving circa 1812, were from Litchfield Co., CT. The first settler was Jonas Bush, Jr.
Painted Rocks. About 2 miles upriver of Great Bend Village are some sheer cliffs. Early settlers claim there was the painted figure of an Indian Chief on the cliffs. After the image faded, the red paint in the figure remained. Later settlers, not knowing of the Indian image, began calling the area "Red Rock." Today, Red Rock is the name of a crossroad community in that area.
Taylortown, area settled by and named after William Taylor, who arrived circa 1815, erected saw mills, and was a lumberman and farmer. Also called "Hickory Grove," which was the name of the Erie Railroad station, post office, and school located there. The schoolhouse was located on a small hill covered with hickory trees -- an unusual feature in this area. The post office was opened on 22 Nov 1872 and closed 1 Dec 1905. Pop. 105 in 1900
Return to Township Map
Return to Main Page
Copyright © 2002-2004 Susquehanna County Historical Society
2 Monument Square
Montrose, PA 18801
All Rights Reserved