Digging Train from Snow Drifts
Ice House at Heart Lake
Building and Geographic Information According to the 1872 Beers' Atlas of Susquehanna County. To obtain copies of maps e-mail us for details.
Bridgewater Township was formed during the November Session (of the Court of Quarter Sessions) in 1806. For further information, see also Township Incorporations.
Cool Station, former railroad station.
East Bridgewater, former post office.
Fisk Mill, neighborhood in North Bridgewater. There was a mill, just north of the Bridgewater twp. line, on Silver Creek. Asa Mill erected the first mill there in 1853 and built a water-powered sawmill. The mill has had many subsequent owners.
Heart Lake, former post office, closed 30 Apr 1935 (mail routed through Montrose P.O.); former railroad station and express office; pop. 50 in 1900.
Montrose, county seat. Incorporated from Bridgewater Twp as a borough 29 Mar 1824. The first courthouse was built in 1813. A new courthouse, at its present location at the top of Public Avenue, was built on part of a 10-acre tract donated to the borough for public use. Today, this tract, which also includes the old county jail and the village green, is on the National Register of Historic Places. Two other structures in Montrose, the J.R. Lyons home and the former Silver Lake Bank (now headquarters of the nonprofit organization Center for Anti-Slavery Studies), are also on the National Register. Montrose at one time had two railroad depots, one for the Lehigh Valley RR, which came from Tunkhannock; and the other for the DL&W RR, which came from Alford.
South Montrose, post office; former railroad station; pop. 100 in 1900.
Tiffany (also called Tiffany's Corner), former post office, closed 31 Jan 1909 (mail routed through Montrose P.O.); former train station.
Return to Township Map
Return to Main Page
Copyright © 2002-2004 Susquehanna County Historical Society
2 Monument Square
Montrose, PA 18801
All Rights Reserved