Auburn PA, Looking South ca. 1910
Post Office, West Auburn ca. 1910
Building and Geographic Information According to the 1872 Beers' Atlas of Susquehanna County. To obtain copies of maps e-mail us for details.
Auburn Township was formed during the April Session (of the Court of Quarter Sessions) in 1814. For further information, see also Township Incorporations.
Auburn Center, post office from 5 Nov 1852 to 31 May 1909 (mail routed through Meshoppen P.O.); pop. 35 in 1900. Abraham Waltman had the first store there, before 1840.
Auburn Four Corners, post office at the intersection of two old highways, from 12 Dec 1832 and to 30 Jun 1915 (mail routed through Springville P.O.). First permanent settler was John Passmore, of Rhode Island, in 1806. Pop. 70 in 1900.
Doolittle, former post office, closed 20 May 1904 (mail routed through Meshoppen P.O.); pop. 25 in 1900.
Retta, post office from 1880 to 30 Jun 1910 (mail routed through Rushboro P.O.). Settled by the sons of Hiram Carter, David, Daniel, and Henry. Retta was formerly called "Cartertown." Pop. 60 in 1900.
Rushboro, former post office, closed 28 Feb 1914 (mail routed through West Auburn P.O.).
Shannon Hill, principle hill in the township. The first clearing on the hill was made in 1831 by William Overfield.
Auburn, post office from 12 Dec 1832 to 31 Dec 1907 (mail routed through Meshoppen P.O.). First settled in 1805 by Thomas Wheeler and Hiram Carter, both of Wyoming Co., PA. The first goods were sold out of a boxcar by a man named Baker. Pop. 50 in 1900.
Transue, post office, on Taylor Hill (one of the principle hills in the twp. and named after a local family), from Oct 1897 to 31 Dec 1907 (mail routed through Meshoppen P.O.).
West Auburn, located on the Tuscarora Creek. Formerly called "New Laceyville" because it was settled by members of the Lacey family. The first home was built by Eli Billings, later owned by Edwin J. Lacey since 1844. Post office from 25 Mar 1840 to 30 Apr 1934 (mail routed through Skinners Eddy P.O.); pop. 150 in 1900.
Return to Township Map
Return to Main Page
Copyright © 2002-2004 Susquehanna County Historical Society
2 Monument Square
Montrose, PA 18801
All Rights Reserved